Laser engraving enclosures

Geiri
Hey guys, I haven't been very active here lately because business is going insane here. I'm just building building building all day! I did a post quite some time ago about spraying enclosures and that I was trying out some new sprays and kind of moving away from hand painting (me personally). My girlfriend still paints enclosures for me when she has the time.

Anyways, back on topic. I've got access to a place that has a 40w laser machine that can both cut and engrave into all kinds of materials. It's not powerful enough to engrave into the bare enclosures. How cool would that be? So what I do is I spray them in at least five thick coats and then use the laser to engrave some nice artwork into them. Here are a few examples of what I've done lately:

This is for an upcoming giveaway through Instagram.

Finished pedal.

The boxes are also laser engraved.

Here are my Owly Boosters

2-Channel True Bypass Looper

Some Klons

Some cool artwork!

More JBWW art

More JBWW

JBWW

More Owly action

Pedal Projects Litli Fuzz

Deep Blue Delay

Pedal Projects Tremolo

Klon Centaur

Pink Owly

White Owly with green eyes

Sorry for the image overflow!

Here are two videos of the laser engraving process:

YouTube Link 1
YouTube Link 2
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Laser engraving enclosures

GoranP

Wowzers!

You have indeed been busy!

Great stuff, so much better than my deskjob...

Re: Laser engraving enclosures

alltrax74
I like very much the first ones, but not the ones with the feather, tree, monster...keep it simple IMO

Re: Laser engraving enclosures

Wild Turkey
Wow they look amazing especially the stack of amps & guitar on podium

Re: Laser engraving enclosures

toddvirgil
Holy crap, Geiri! That's incredible work! So is the laser just stripping off paint or is it burning it in? How does it do the white markings on dark?

totally wicked illustrations... Who's the artist?

Kudos....

Re: Laser engraving enclosures

Geiri
I'm sticking with minimalism for the "standard" pedals but I love to be able to make complex and nice artwork as well so I just wanted to show it off because this laser is awesome!

What I do is I do for example 2-3 coats of black and then 3-4 coats of white and I set the laser to be fast and not full power so it only engraves through the white so it leaves the black left. Using other colours works as well.

Ps. I'm making a bunch of pedals for Ben Weinman of Dillinger Escape Plan after he saw one pedal with the artwork from their latest album. That's pretty awesome!
www.pedalprojects.com

Oh and the artist who designed those wicked images is Jordan Buckley of Every Time I Die. Check him out at www.jbww.com!
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Laser engraving enclosures

Silver Blues
This is sick, Geiri.

Re: Laser engraving enclosures

Geiri
Thank you!
www.pedalprojects.com

Do you do veros anymore, Geiri? Or is it all fancy laser/cnc stuff, now that the business is booming?

Re: Laser engraving enclosures

Geiri
Oh yes don't worry, I'm using veros all the time! I've been making a few PCBs using a small cnc machine but that's only for the Litli Fuzz and Owly booster because I make them a lot. All other stuff is vero
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Laser engraving enclosures

Milkit
They're fucking beautiful mate!  I love the puking T-rex.
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: Laser engraving enclosures

alex.s
These are awesome!

Who did the images (ie the hand, puking dino man, whale etc)? They look amazing!

Re: Laser engraving enclosures

alltrax74
BTW is this the Epilog mini 18 engraver Geiri ?

Re: Laser engraving enclosures

Dave
Hi Geiri.
Really nice work man, do you use a clearcoat on these? If so, what do you use?
Thanks
Dave

Re: Laser engraving enclosures

Surgeon