Learning to use Eagle

SpaceCommandant
I’m about to embark on the harrowing journey of learning to use this software to design some boards. I’ve read that replacing the library with the Madbean one is a good start. Any other tips/recommended tutorials that would make getting a handle on this super-unintuitive software any easier?

Re: Learning to use Eagle

SpaceCommandant
I just found the thread by PMowdes. Thanks, that should get me started.

Re: Learning to use Eagle

PMowdes
Eagle has moved in a but since I did that but that shouldn't matter too much.

The most important thing is that you get your library sorted out

Id largely ignore the built in managed library system unless you are looking for something specific, as a new user it can be impenetrable

If you get stuck gimme a shout

Re: Learning to use Eagle

I’ve spent the last month or so working on learning Eagle

For my first project I followed the SparkFun schematic guide religiously and it was very helpful. I don’t really find the SparkFun library particularly useful but it was a good excersize to learn how to import a library or part anyways

Once the schematic was done I followed the SparkFun layout guide

Then I’ve spent the last month doing different projects to sharpen my skills. Haven’t had any boards actually manufactured yet, but I’d like to very soon.

I guess the real test will be ordering some boards to confirm that I’m routing correctly and am not doing weird pad/drill/trace sizes

Re: Learning to use Eagle

One tip from me is to search for a part in asterisks in the library.

For example if you search NE5534 it won’t work but if you search *NE5534* it will

Re: Learning to use Eagle

balazs.bencs
ah man! I just started learning Eagle, and this was the most annoying thing for me! Thanks, dude!

Re: Learning to use Eagle

Sensei Tim
If DRC passes and There are no errors then you should be golden.

I’ve designed about a dozen boards in the last 3 months because I got sick of doing massive complicated stripboards.   The amount of time that it’s saved me is incredible!

Re: Learning to use Eagle

Yeah I’m in it for saving time. I drew a layout for an EQ that has 16 pots, a bunch of which are dual pots. Would be a nightmare on anything but PCB

Since that’s going to be more costly I’m going to do some small cheap boards first to get a better idea how the pads and footprints etc that I’m using work out

Re: Learning to use Eagle

Btw I recently downloaded the madbean library which seems pretty good. Pretty much any part you’d need for a pedal, seems like nice pad sizes

Re: Learning to use Eagle

balazs.bencs
The Madbean library is great, and also the Gaussmarkov library is cool as well! (Especially for PCB mounted alpha pots). I recommend using it: http://web.archive.org/web/20161228054035/http://gaussmarkov.net:80/wordpress/tools/software/eagle/eagle-2-libraries/

Btw I just ordered my first PCBs from JLCPCB, I made the board plan for the Friedman Golden Pearl (inspired by the one from pedalpcb.com), I figured for the first try, I'll do something simple. I'll post some pictures when it arrives if you're interested.

Re: Learning to use Eagle

PMowdes

I would steer clear of the Gaussmarkov library simply because the pad sizes are way too small, there maybe a few things in there that are useful but on the whole the madbean library is way more usable.

I'd suggest removing all of the existing managed libraries on eagle and just using the madbean library until you are comfortable with how Eagle works and the process of generating a working board.

I'm at a point where I am comfortable generating my own components

Library.io is a really useful site if you need to generate new components

www.library.io

The AutoCAD Eagle forum is a useful resource

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/bd-p/3500

Again if anyone needs any pointers gimme a shout

Re: Learning to use Eagle

Sensei Tim
is there a way to move parts around using the cursor keys rather than the mouse and command line?

Re: Learning to use Eagle

PMowdes

Not that i'm aware of