Let's talk about LM308 ic's

Sensei Tim
I'm planning on doing a few rat builds and am wondering if there's a difference between lm308n ic's and the can8 H versions?

Re: Let's talk about LM308 ic's

Short answer is yes, if you're talking about NOS metal can ones. The newer and Chinese ones sounds like shit to me. I prefer the NOS metal cans to the plastic. I find them to be smoother and gainier. It's why I've stocked up on them and have I think 80 of them.

Re: Let's talk about LM308 ic's

Sensei Tim
Any hints for a good source of metal can ones?
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Let's talk about LM308 ic's

Unfortunately I don't. I bought out the entire stock 2x from our good Bulgarian friend and snagged a few I saw on eBay a few times. If they pop up they go for $8-10 each on the low end. Unless you have to have them just use regular LM308 ICs or grab some NOS plastic LM308 ICs. You'll still get a badass sounding rat, and the original never can with the cans. But, if I see any pop up I'll let you know.

Re: Let's talk about LM308 ic's

Sensei Tim
Cool.  I picked up a few cans from some Chinese seller on a chance.

I've got a project in mind that will need an old school rat pedal.

Re: Let's talk about LM308 ic's

Bro I have 2, lol. Well both modified for bass. One that was a prototype and one that was the finalized version. Definitely a must build IMHO, and once I modified it for bass it's become my main bass distortion pedal. Planning on 2 more, a stock rat, and another modified one.

Re: Let's talk about LM308 ic's

Silver Blues
Speaking of bass Rats I would really like to see the guts of an MXR M81, I hear it's just some form of modified Rat and it sounds great.