Lots of feedback from a PlimSoul. Is this normal?

Lots of feedback from a PlimSoul. Is this normal?

Ed Nice
I've built a plimsoul and it works fine, but I have 2 questions if I may...

1. If I have everything full on, it gives mental feedback when not playing. From about level < 8 it's just a bit noisy. I know, it's crazy full on but I just wondered if this was normal?

2. I've put the LEDs on tails and they seem slightly dimmer. Is this the normal way to do it?

I did box it but then I made the mistake of looking at Travis' gut shot pics and thought, 'No sunshine, that just won't do...'. :)

Thanks.

Re: Lots of feedback from a PlimSoul. Is this normal?

Tune Tone
hey Ed
Im trying to revive this old project of mine too. I left it aside about a year a go. the effect is working for me just fine but I do experience this odd oscillation once the gain knobs is turned from around 2-3 o'clock I also get those horrifying beeps.
did you try placing a buffer after it ?

no idea what's up with that..
any lead on that ?

cheers!

Re: Lots of feedback from a PlimSoul. Is this normal?

Ed Nice
Hi. I changed the value of the sustain pot. I can't remember which alternative value I used. I think I changed to a 50k but I'll have to have a look to be sure?

Re: Lots of feedback from a PlimSoul. Is this normal?

Tune Tone
cool, did that help ?
some say the oscilating problems in fuzz / distortions pedals normally lays on the filtering caps.. I assume the 220 uf caps going from to the row of pin 8 of the IC.. is that the filtering cap ?
also I got a suggestion to put a buffer before the effect (input >buffer in> buffer out >effect in).
I got a buffer circuit lazing around would get to that soon and will also update in case I got a change.

Re: Lots of feedback from a PlimSoul. Is this normal?

BuGG
This post was updated on .
I've built a few of these over the years.... Vero, etched, and fabbed PCBs...  All of them have exhibited this same problem.

It's worth noting the schematic for the original pedal as found on the patent application doesn't match the layouts/schematics floating around the internet...

There are several differences.... the Zener diode D5 in the feedback path, the absence of C2 and C18, the slightly different orientation R7...

I would be very interested in adding a capacitor in the location of C2 to your pedal and see if it helps....

Schematic from patent application