Low gain Ge transistors

A2Music
Hey forum,
I have a few dozen low gain (less than 50 hfe) AC128 in my possession.  I'm looking for some ideas on what to do with them. They're too low for a conventional Fuzz Face or tone Bender. For the Rangemaster variants I prefer hfe 60-90. I hate to let them languish at the bottom of the transistor drawer. Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Alex

Re: Low gain Ge transistors

Ge buffers. That's what I'm doing with all the super low gain Ge transitors I have. But, there may be some effected that like low gain transistors too. You could try some that are in the 40hfe range with a fuzzface. I have and they skunded great.

Re: Low gain Ge transistors

You could use them as diodes, buffers, or in Darlington pairs (like Q1 of a Buzzaround or MKIII or small bear's Darlington Rangemaster)

Re: Low gain Ge transistors

iggy
Try a Joe Bonamassa FuzzFace. I believe it uses relatively low gain transistors. It uses low gain Russian trannys. I would think you could get something similar with those AC's . Certainly usable for Q1. Possibly Q2 as well.