MN (Blend) Pots

JaviCAP
Administrator
Hello,
I ordered some B250K double gang pots on eBay for the Maxon 820, and this asshole of seller did send  MV250K ones. At first sight, and noticing that they had a center stop, I believed that they were W Taper ones, but......nope, they're blend pots. Pot 1 from 0  to 12 o clock, go up to 250k measuring between pinns 1 and 2, while por 2 get no change measuring the same pins, and the opposite happens from 12 to 5 o clock, so it's like having two independent pots in just one piece. Great for modding your guitar and avoiding togle switches but I'm afraid useless for the Maxon 820.

Is there any way that I can still use them in this build or will I have to throw them to the "useless items" bag?

Re: MN (Blend) Pots

No you can't use them for the OD820.  Like the Klon this has a clean and dirty path which are panned between by the dual gang pot, and you can't do that unless the resistance is changing on both side simultaneously.

Why don't you just use two separate pots, then you can control the clean and dirt levels independently which I think makes this and the Klon (and similar) more versatile.

I do reckon those pots would be really cool for some things though, I didn't even know you could get them with that sort of control.  You could have a dirt pedal where as you turn anti clockwise you could control the gain in the feedback loop like a TS pedal, turn clockwise and you could add shunt diodes to the signal path like a Rat.  You could use them for some really funky stuff.  Where did you get them from, I want some!

Re: MN (Blend) Pots

JaviCAP
Administrator
Hehehehehe, I was afraid that there was no hope for these pots in the 820, I have just ordered a few on Tayda (to make sure they sent whar I'm ordering.

Yeah, I built the 820 with two separate pots (250k and 500k) and I like what it offers, but I want to try it with the dual gang one (I'm LAZY :P).

If you take a look on eBay and search for MV Potentiometer, you'll get many auctions, and are not expensive, I have to try 'em in some circuit or even in the Telecaster, avoiding more toggle switches :P

J.