MP Fire Red Fuzz output

roccster
Hi all!

New to the forum and fairly new to pedal building. The MP Fire Red Fuzz is the 3rd pedal I built.
Everything seems to be working ok, except I think the output volume is a bit low.
I basicly need to crank it to match the dry input volume.
Any ideas?

Cheers!!

/ Richard

Re: MP Fire Red Fuzz output

There should be plenty of volume, post you voltage at each transistor pin and we can see if anything looks obviously wrong

Re: MP Fire Red Fuzz output

roccster
Ok here we go:

Q1
C: 3,93V
B: 0,637V
E: 30,00mV

Q2
C: 4,13V
B: 0,660V
E: 40mV

Q3
C: 3,9V
B: 0,645V
E: 0,42mV

Q4
D: 380mV
G: 0,660V
S: 380mV

Q5
D: 0,660V
G: 330mV
S: 0,660V

Q6
G: 0
D: 2,927V
S: 2,64V

brgds

/ Richard

Re: MP Fire Red Fuzz output

roccster
Oh and I noticed that the loss of output is when i have the tone at 10-13 o clock. When the tone is rolled back or full the volume is as it should.

Re: MP Fire Red Fuzz output

Frank_NH
Check your volume pot - perhaps it's defective?  Or you have a log pot (versus linear)?

Re: MP Fire Red Fuzz output

roccster
Ok ill check that just to be sure.
Is there anyway to verify a pots function?

Re: MP Fire Red Fuzz output

dbat69
The easiest way is to measure the resistance at various points around the sweep of the pot.  If it is linear, the resistance will change at a constant rate.  e.g. if the pot is a 100k linear, at 1/4 turn it will read 25k, 1/2 turn it will read 50k and at 3/4 turn it will be 75k.
If it is a log pot there will be slow rate of change at one end of the sweep and a much faster rate for the best part of the sweep