MXR Distortion II

televisiondown
Would love to see a vero for the MXR Distortion II. Not the Distortion +...the II (two). I found a schematic:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Schematics-etc/MXR+Distortion+II+schematic.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Thanks!!
-Kris

Re: MXR Distortion II

rudeez
I own the original MXR III and honestly it sounds shit :)

Re: MXR Distortion II

Effectsiation
He said Distortion II (as in 2) dude!  Which, I as well would love to see a layout for this. I would hope it would use a charge pump instead of the transformer.

Re: MXR Distortion II

mirosol
The III (three), GT and ZW44 are all based on same circuit, which IMO is not that good. All of those can be good for driving high gain dirt channels, but for clean - no way.

I'll take a look at II (two) at some point. Hope it's better :)
fyaelectronics.com

Re: MXR Distortion II

lowbrow
I third the Distortion II request. Also like the idea of utilizing a charge pump instead of a transformer. I think many of us want to see this due to Billy Corgan using it extensively in the Smashing Pumpkins with the op-amp Muff.

Re: MXR Distortion II

mirosol
Administrator
I just checked the schematic out, and i'm going to have to bear the bad news. Not a chance. That uses 15V supply transformed from 120-240V ac - It has four dual opamps and loads of other stuff that makes it just impossible to draw on stripboard.
fyaelectronics.com

Re: MXR Distortion II

Effectsiation
Hey Miro, in that case, may I suggest a MBM (Made By Mike) Dist2?

It's his take on the MXR Distortion II, and I think it sounds great. You can see a gutshot of his vero, (or maybe that's perf) here:

http://www.madebymike.co.uk/dist2pictures.shtml

You can see he got rid of the crazy switching device those pedals had (CD4016 I believe) and simplified the other chips to a single TL074, and one TL072. He also got rid of the transformer and is just running the circuit off of 9v.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a schem for his version yet.

Thoughts?

Re: MXR Distortion II

mirosol
Administrator
Looks li a strip to me. That idea crossed my mind earlier when i noticed that it was just 15V and not bipolar 15V.

Could be doable.. I'll look into it at some point.
+m
fyaelectronics.com

Re: MXR Distortion II

iggy
I'd like to see if you zcould supply the proper part spec's for this. There is a guy on ebay that has the original mxr circuit boards for this pedal. I bought a couple, but cant make out the proper spec's for the parts. Anyone interested in buying thre boards let me know and i'll look up yhe seller's info.

Re: MXR Distortion II

Effectsiation

Re: MXR Distortion II

Effectsiation