MXR Noise Gate - Suddenly stopped working with a farty/osculating noise

MXR Noise Gate - Suddenly stopped working with a farty/osculating noise

rex.himself
Built the effect as per http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/mxr-noise-gate.html
and it has been working fine for about 6 weeks, however the other day it suddenly stopped working and now will only produce a "farty" osculating noise when I hit the strings.

I've done the obvious like check for cold solder joints and any shorts but come up with nothing.

Voltages if helpful are
Battery: 8.9

Q1
C 3.47
B 0.33
E 0.00

Q2
C 8.46
B 2.23
E 2.53

Q3 - I used 2N5484
D 3.48
S 3.48
G 3.48

IC 4558
 3.47
 3.48
 3.48
 0
 8.32
 4.17
 4.17
 2.77
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGxC9mY0rD9yMJMceI7vPw
Check my DIY Guitar Pedal builds and gear demo's on youtube

Re: MXR Noise Gate - Suddenly stopped working with a farty/osculating noise

motterpaul
I get the same problem with lots of noise gates I build, they work for awhile and then just die out. It's frustrating. But I built this one and it has been working fine. I also used a 5484.

I see that voltage on your IC is 8.32...

I don't know but I think I might try a new battery. I always use a One-Spot myself.

If you have any tantalums, - try replacing them. Otherwise, I don't know.

Re: MXR Noise Gate - Suddenly stopped working with a farty/osculating noise

IC voltages are suspicious. Post photos.

By the way, 'osculate' means 'kiss'.

Re: MXR Noise Gate - Suddenly stopped working with a farty/osculating noise

motterpaul
Induc...  "Osculate"

I write for living (believe it or not) and I am always on the lookout for new words. That is so cool as a word, and also that you knew that.  That is actually one definition of it, here is the dictionary...

verb (used without object), osculated, osculating.
1. to come into close contact or union.

2. Geometry. (of a curve) to touch another curve or another part of the same curve so as to have the same tangent and curvature at the point of contact.
verb (used with object), osculated, osculating.

3. to bring into close contact or union.

4. Geometry. (of a curve) to touch (another curve or another part of the same curve) in osculation or close contact.

5. to kiss.

But I am going to look for it in usage to find its best application. Sorry to ramble on, but it really amazes me when I find a word I never heard about before.

PS: sorry about the noise gate... I have a working one I can take a look at if needed

RE: MXR Noise Gate - Suddenly stopped working with a farty/osculating noise

rex.himself
Thanks for the reply.
I actually went through and replaced all the transistors and it worked straight up.

So not sure what was wrong, I had socketed all the trannies but then soldered them into the socket... won't do that again!

Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 12:06:12 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: MXR Noise Gate - Suddenly stopped working with a farty/osculating noise

[...]

To unsubscribe from MXR Noise Gate - Suddenly stopped working with a farty/osculating noise, click here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGxC9mY0rD9yMJMceI7vPw
Check my DIY Guitar Pedal builds and gear demo's on youtube

Re: MXR Noise Gate - Suddenly stopped working with a farty/osculating noise

That word, while neat sounding, only serves to give me PTSD about intermediate calculus

Good that you got the pedal working man. Sometimes weird shit just happens.

Re: MXR Noise Gate - Suddenly stopped working with a farty/osculating noise

rex.himself
If anyone is at all interested check the link in my sig for my youtube channel to watch a build report (shameless self promotion. I hope this is acceptable)

It can mean a little more than "kiss" - especially its derivatives: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=osculectomy