MXR microamp for bass?

jishnudg
I took the tagboardeffects layout for the MXR microamp (guitar) and changed the capacitor values...will this work for a bass guitar's range? And are the electrolytic caps here oriented correctly? How can I tweak this to respond well to a bass guitar? Or are there other (better) headphone amps for bass that I could attempt?
Thanks and regards,
JishnuMXR microamp bass mod

Re: MXR microamp for bass?

Madferret
I noticed that you referred to the Microamp as a headphone amp, that's not really the case.  The Microamp is a booster designed to give your signal a bit more gain, it's not designed to be used with headphones.  I don't know if this was what you were planning to do but I didn't want you to end up building the wrong circuit.  Sorry if you already knew this.

Re: MXR microamp for bass?

jishnudg
Thank you so much, Madferret, I was actually planning to go ahead and
build this :) do you have any recommendations for a good bass
headphone amp schematic and/or layout?

On 2/20/13, Madferret [via Guitar FX Layouts]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noticed that you referred to the Microamp as a headphone amp, that's not
> really the case.  The Microamp is a booster designed to give your signal a
> bit more gain, it's not designed to be used with headphones.  I don't know
> if this was what you were planning to do but I didn't want you to end up
> building the wrong circuit.  Sorry if you already knew this.

Re: MXR microamp for bass?

Ross
I was thinking about a good bass headphone amp, and I think running a Tillman JFET preamp into a CMoy headphone amp might be a decent solution. I should probably build something soon, I don't think any university I'm headed to wants to deal with my GK 4x10 stack.

http://www.till.com/articles/GuitarPreamp/
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

Re: MXR microamp for bass?

Ross
Here's a vero I just made for the Tillman preamp. It works.
http://i.imgur.com/W0vaVXC.png?1

Re: MXR microamp for bass?

jishnudg
Thanks,Ross...are there any layouts for the Cmoy circuit (with or
without the mods mentioned in your link) ? whats the maximum voltage
one could run this circuit at? Its shown as +/- 9v in the schematic..

On 2/20/13, Ross [via Guitar FX Layouts]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's a vero I just made for the Tillman preamp. It works.
> http://i.imgur.com/W0vaVXC.png?1

Re: MXR microamp for bass?

Ross
The max voltage of a CMoy would be determined  by the maximum supply voltage of the op amp in most cases. So for the OPA134, it would be +/-18V.  Just make sure your caps are also rated equivalently.

Also, with the Tillman preamp, you can substitute a 47K for the 51K with no problem.

Re: MXR microamp for bass?

Madferret
Why not try the MXR Headphone Amp and try increasing the input cap?  It's probably close to what you had in mind originally.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/mxr-headphone-amp.html

Re: MXR microamp for bass?

j-pee

2013 was long ago, but still...

as to the cmoy headphone amp,
there is an extremely cool article:
"How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier"

link: https://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy/

and there is one verified stripboard layout here on GFX@nabble:

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/not-really-a-pedal-but-useful-for-musicians-Cmoy-headphone-amp-for-in-ear-monitor-td9862.html