Madbean SAWSE

MAO

Madbean SAWSE

MAO
This post was updated on .
Based on DOD 440 (requires VTL5C4/2)

SAWSE Info here

Verified by me 03/15/2016

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Madbean SAWSE

Muadzin
I just checked the SAWSE's build doc and I noticed that the VTL5C4 has become unobtainium, no longer in production. Why the hell keep on designing stuff that uses parts that are out of production/hard to source?
MAO

Re: Madbean SAWSE

MAO
Can be frustrating for sure, I haven't built this one yet (next week) but have built the DOD 440 and loved it....I'm sure that's why.

It looks like the link I posted above still has them.

I was lucky enough to buy a dead DOD 595 for $5 and salvaged 3 VTL5C4/2s, 5 TL022s and 3 vintage knobs. All part of the fun.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Madbean SAWSE

negativefx
They're not impossible to buy, just expensive.  You can find them for $6-10 on Aliexpress.  I've ordered a few of each type and ended up paying an average of $7 for each.  Buy one, test the behavior of it's resistance based on a few inputs to the LED.  Then take that mixbag of radioshack photos and find one that's close.  Won't make a significant difference in the sound and you'll save yourself some cash.  Just keep the vactrol around for comparing or debugging in the future.
MAO

Re: Madbean SAWSE

MAO
Verified

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst