Madbean's Kingslayer

JaviCAP
Administrator
Hi all!

For a change, I wanted to build something with a PCB. After a good research, and being a Klon Centaur's lover, I choose th Kingslayer offered by Brian (Madbean).

This effect is a deep remake of the classic Centaur, somehow simplified circuit ans with some options added: a hard clippin' diode switch, and the option to add an IC's  feedback clippin'.

Well, the PCB itself is a good quality one, designed to fit in a 1590B enclosure.

This effect is a Klon in steroids. You can set it as a classic Klon, and it sounds verbatim to my vero Klon, maybe with a noticeable more headroom at your disposal.

Hard clippin' options are basicaly the same that you can get with any Klon: switch between germanium or other kind of diodes.

Main novelty is the "OD" switch, that can activate a soft clippin' on the IC's feedback. This control is great to fatten a bit your sound and get some more tones to your Klon.

Miro/ Mark, what about a Vero? Is a bit samller than the original Klon, so I don't think it would be too complicated :)

Nice pedal to build, totally recommended:

BR

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

Madferret
Nice build dude, I love the recreation of the Gold Klon. How long did the board take to come? I've thought about ordering from Madbean in the past but I'm an impatient man and sometimes just want to build something there and then.

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

It doesn't really need a new layout.  Looking at the schematic he's changed a few values which is always going to be down to taste anyway, but as you say Javi the main difference is the switchable germanium diodes which can be done with a 2 position DPDT toggle (or you could even use a 3 position and have another pair between 3 and 6 and also solder top to tail LEDs across lugs 2 and 5 to give you 3 clipping option - choose your favourite combinations but make sure the ones with the highest forward voltage are in the middle position between 2 and 5, then they won't interfere with the other 2 selections).

To add the OD switch just use a 2 position DPDT:

1----4
2----5
3----6

with the top to tail diodes between 1 and 2.  The feed wires which will come from the board are soldered to 2 and 5, and they come from pins 6 and 7 of the top opamp.  6 is easy enough because there's a free hole at the end of the board, 7 is do-able by moving the link to one side slightly to get access to the hole underneath.

Again if you wanted more options, use a 3 position toggle with another diode arrangement soldered between 3 and 6 and keep the centre off for the stock Klon position.

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

JaviCAP
Hi,

It was quick, 7 days from payment to my letter box, tuesday to tuesday to be exact, using First Class mail, that I think is the only option offered by Brian.

Postage is low, $3, so total cost was about €9 (pcb and shippin'), worth a try, not a long wait :))

BR

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

JaviCAP
Wow mark, that was a quick review!

Yeah, you're right as always, it can be done too with the original Klon vero, so on my next vero build I'll include these updates, I think that the OD switch is a nice improvement.

By the way, the TLC274 sounds great. Neve tried it before but liked it a lot. Swapped it with a TL074 to check differences, and while on "classic" Klon setup (Germanium hard clippin and not activated OD) the sound was very close to the 274 sound, with the leds acitive and the OD too, sound was not so full and round. Will have to experiment more with this IC, as price is just like the TL074's.

BR

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

Yes some of the rail to rail opamps sound excellent.  Have a look for TLC272 as well and try them in place of the usual dual opamps and see what you think.

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

Wild Turkey
I'd like to build this one myself
Where did you source the tc1044scpa from
cant seem to find them anywhere

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

Use the ICL7660SCPA, you can pick them up for pennies off eBay

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

Wild Turkey
Thanks Mark !

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

JaviCAP
Mark just answered :)

Yes, I used (as always) a ICL7660SCPAZ. Just be careful, it has to be SCPA or SCPAZ, version CPA, will give you some headaches, as one of the pins have to be soldered to ground in order to avoid a whime.

You can use too a MAX1044SCPA, but is 10 times more expensive than the ICL.

BR

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

Ross
The MAX1044 is also easier to blow up (has a lower maximum voltage requirement).

The ICL7660SCPA is cheap as it gets, 10 for $3 on eBay.

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

I ordered a Kingslayer before too.  At that price it's worth it to get a Klon in a 1590B.  I've got another PCB for the Klon which would but I liked the extras with this one so thought I'd give it a try.  I've also got a couple of the ARC Effects boards which are excellent, but as usual I'm steering away from 1590BBs for anything for me!

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

jalmonsalmon
I made one of these and it is great. One issue I found on mine but no biggie is clippin toggle set to to the middle and OD on, if I dime everything it motorboats. I may end up swappin out some diodes with different ones to see if that stops the motor-boating. Does sound cool though  hehehe

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

JaviCAP
Administrator
Yes, this issue is reported by Brian, but when OD is off, so no diodes are clipping and the IC is "let loose". In order to avoid it, swapped R11 (1M) with a 680k one.

Motorboat sound when gain cranked and no diodes engaged  dissapears but at the same time you get a bit less gain from the OD switch.

Brian recommends a resistor from 750 to 490k, just check what fits you better..

BR

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

jalmonsalmon
Oh! so that is the IC wide open eh? I may socket that resistor and maybe put the fix resistor and orig on a toggle, that way I can toggle the motor boat back on when I need some fun!
thanks!

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer

Wild Turkey
Just finished my one

It sounds as good as it looks

It was in temporary housing above a curry shop
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8506/8540925409_6221125340_c.jpg[/img]

& now in its new home
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8088/8542027470_ab0b3405a8_c.jpg[/img]

Re: Madbean's Kingslayer