Matching Transistors

inefficiency
So, it's ultra-newbie question time....

Matching transistors into pairs - Can someone give me either a link with an explanation or perhaps give me the lowdown on the benefits of doing it and the drawbacks of not doing it?

I can understand measuring them and then testing a bunch with different readings to see which range seems to sound best for that particular pedal, but due to my EXTREMELY limited knowledge of electronics, I don't get the whole pairs thing other than it happens in pedals with a pair of transistors being used.

Sorry if this has been answered or if I need to go read a book or something. I just want to try and figure out the meaning of some of this stuff I'm doing rather than just blindly following a layout and instructions.

Re: Matching Transistors

I would only bother matching transistors when you know there is some benefit in doing so like JFETs in phasers or maybe differential pairs for octave effects.  I can't see any benefit in matching transistors in any cascading gain stage type circuit because I just can't see what benefit it will give you.  Much better to socket them and try different hfe transistors in different positions and see which works best to your own ears.  Even with cascasding JFET stages you wouldn't need to bother matching them, more important to socket a resistor or include a trimmer so each stage can be biased individually.

Re: Matching Transistors

inefficiency
Cool, cheers!

I'm starting to figure out some of the biasing stuff. I made a Dark Meathead, but put some 2n2222a trannies in it and I also stuck in a 100k resistor instead of a 120k because it's what I had on hand.

It sounds completely gnarly and messed up and I'm assuming that is because the circuit is biased for the bc108s and if that wasn't enough I changed a resistor going to the base of the transistor on the left.

It also seems to sound less crazy when you use lower output pickups or roll back the volume just a hair. Guess that's because less signal is getting into an already over-juiced circuit?

All of these are assumptions, but it feels like maybe I'm on the right track. - Either way, I kinda like how filthy it sounds. The only negative is that sometimes you seen to lose a bit of sustain amongst the glitchiness of it.