Maxon Phase Tone

Re: Maxon Phasetone - Alex need your help!

You're awesome MAO. Does it sound right as it is?
MAO

Re: Maxon Phasetone - Alex need your help!

MAO
Thank you.

Funny how it came together so quickly as I had all but given up after spending 2 weeks or so trying to draw up a suitable layout.

Yes, sounds like all the non-Pro Guitar Shop videos as their's always sound better than the rest.

I increased the lower trimmer to 50k and could then hear the trimmer's effect on the width of the phase. I would recommend 50k or even 100k just so you can hear what that trimmer does, but I found dialing it in around 10k or less sounds the best.

It looks like Futurlec carries the 2SK246s for .22, I made order a bunch to see if I can hear any difference.

I haven't tried other ICs yet.

Here's the verified layout with the corrected Speed connections and a couple minor changes.

The main layout it is verified. The daughterboards are not verified

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Maxon Phasetone - Alex need your help!

Alex
This post was updated on .
Cool Michael!
I've drawn 2 layouts but then started doing something else and I've completely forgotten about it.
One came out exactly the same size: 22 x 27.
No point to upload it.
The other one (considering this pedal has only one pot) should fit in a 1590B box.

Re: Maxon Phasetone - Alex need your help!

Hozy31
Should it be 40 cuts 23 links for the main board?
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Maxon Phasetone - Alex need your help!

Alex
Thanks Gavin!
Used an old layout and forgot to update Links and Cuts!
MAO

Re: Maxon Phasetone - Alex need your help!

MAO
As always, layout looks great Alex!

Shouldn't this be placed in the "Phasor" section? :0)
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

Re: Maxon Phasetone - Alex need your help!

MAO
I finally ordered some 2sk246s, ended up with 2 matched quads out of the 25...not bad.

Sounds soooo good!

Makes me wonder if one of the 5457s I has used was out of spec, will check them over this weekend.

I'm betting this phaser will sound really good with a set of Vibe valued caps. May try that this weekend too.

And last, I'll probably give the buffer daughter board a go too...just because.

More later...
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

Re: Maxon Phasetone - Alex need your help!

MAO
Switching daughterboard verified.

This layout is slightly different than the 1st one I posted, so to make it less wide and to have the connecting wires line up better. When connected, it folds up under the main board with more than enough room for the speed pot.

NOTE: if you have already built the main layout, you'll need to remove the 47n from the right edge of the board. Also, note the stomp switch is numbered funny on the schematic, with "1" being the center lug.

This daughterboard gives the original buffered bypass and silent switching. And only requires a SPDT stomp switch...if there is such a thing.

Q5 can be either DGS or DSG jfet (2sk246 or 2n5457 etc).  TR2 is 2SC1815 (or 2n3904, 2n5088 etc)
I used 1n4148 for the unmarked D2. And ZD1 is 4.7v zener

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
12