Metaltronix M-1000 Amp Emulation

Blackboarcult
Phew, I should have never started to lay out this one in the first place...

Essentially a tweaked JCM800 with an added gain stage and different pot placings for more versatility.

These amps have a bad reputation for being harsh and trebly if not properly dialed or cranked, but hey, if Akira Takasaki, Zakk Wylde, Paul Gilbert and the guys from King Diamond (allegedly) used Metaltronix stacks at certain points, I thought it might be a nice addition to any Marshall freak collection.

I didn't even bother to keep it small, as with 8 knobs it's gonna end up in a 1590DD, and as usual wire configuration is done for 5mm spacing terminal blocks (Obsessive Modular Configuration, as I like to say...). I did not include the presence pot for sanity's sake, but I might do it if I find it necessary after the test build.

I used Electrictabs' JCM800 emulation schematic for the 2nd part of the layout, which seems to emulate the poweramp and/or phase inverter, as I plan to use this one with a 60W SS amp, along with the Marshall speaker reactance emulator (yet to be tested).

I've ran through it a couple of times and found no mistake, but another pair of eyes is always welcome.

Original schematic here.

JCM800 emulator schematic here (found on DIYstompboxes forum).

Link to DIYLC file here.

DISCLAIMER: absolutely UNVERIFIED. This is my first vero layout from scratch (not based upon any already drawn layout) so it is more than likely that there are mistakes on it. I will try to verify it as soon as I financially recover from my last MIAB binge-builds, so as long as it is unverified, build at your own risk!

Cheers!

/ZVDW

Re: Metaltronix M-1000 Amp Emulation

Interesting. I’ll make some changes to my layout of the JCM800 without the phase inverter, which I feel really doesn’t add much. Will also cut down on a pot. Lol

Re: Metaltronix M-1000 Amp Emulation

Blackboarcult
That'd be great mate, it'll end up way neater than mine, hehehe!

Actually, Electrictabs JCM emu was one of my first builds, and I have to say I'm pretty fond of the last section of the circuit, it provides a more amp-like feel to my ears. Again, it's a matter of taste, but I found out that it works really well for plugging in a DAW or SS amp.
Note that it can be built separately, as this thread shows, if anyone wants to add it to any preamp.

Cheers!