Mid/High Gain BASS Overdrive - Another Visit...

Mid/High Gain BASS Overdrive - Another Visit...

SeaWitch
I know this has been discussed before, but I'm revisiting this topic for more suggestions on a higher gain OD for bass guitar.

I built the Germanium Giant, and though it sounds great, it just doesn't have enough grit/grind/distortion for what I want right now.

I have my eye on the BJFE BBBOD, but I'm afraid that it too will not be high enough gain.

I'm also looking at the Blowerbox, all the demos sound great...as well, the God City Bass Brutalist (from Dirtbox Layouts) looks very interesting.

I know the Blowerbox and Brutalist are based on the ProCo Rat, so any other suggestions that may get me into this funhouse mirror maze is greatly appreciated!

Re: Mid/High Gain BASS Overdrive - Another Visit...

Bolsyo
My favorites so far for bass:
Low-mid gain: BJFE BBBOD, Barbershop, Runoffgroove Ginger.
Mid-high gain: DAM Ezekiel, RAT.
High gain/fuzz: Green Russian Muff '94.

DAM Ezekiel is really nice, and it has a blend which is great for bass. If you don't want to use a rotary switch, you can use a toggleswitch with leds always on, and some lower forward voltage germanium and silicon in the other two positions like this http://www.muzique.com/news/diode-clipping-switch/ Experiment with different combinations of clipping diodes, they make a lot of difference. The same goes for RAT, I made mine with a clipping switch: stock/silicon, no diodes, turbo/leds.

Re: Mid/High Gain BASS Overdrive - Another Visit...

Yeah if you're looking for high gain, the Blueberry isn't where you want to be, it sounds fantastic but it's mild. I like the Green or Black Russian Muffs on bass for sure, a nice mod is to lift the first set of clipping diodes; gives you somewhat less compression and distortion in exchange for more clean low end.

Re: Mid/High Gain BASS Overdrive - Another Visit...

balazs.bencs
In the forum you can find the Darkglass B3K, I think that is a really good drive!

Re: Mid/High Gain BASS Overdrive - Another Visit...

cjonesplay
Coloursound Bass Fuzz is a 3-transistor Big Muff-style pedal. It's got 80% of the gain of a Big Muff but maintains low end. It's my favorite bass fuzz of all time. Also, the Wooly Mammoth is a giant beast with ALL of the gain, and the simpler version on the main site is all you really need. A really easy build, too.