Mixing different strength signals

Zanius
I've learned enough in these 2-3 years, but I haven't really grasped the concept of input/output impedance, so I need some help here :)

I want to do a aby box with two inputs and one output. The two inputs are a Kaoss pad and a synth piano.
What is the right way to balance the two signals together without having the weaker one dissapear?
Note that this is meant to go into the "aux in" of a jamman looper, so do I have other things to worry about?

Re: Mixing different strength signals

BuGG
You could do something as simple as using two potentiometers to adjust the level of each signal...

On the other hand, you might want to buffer each input signal, as well as the combined output signal.

Re: Mixing different strength signals

Zanius
The first thing that came to mind was to use the famous split 'n' blend but wasn't sure if that would take care of the problem.

Using buffers was my second thought, but again didn't know if that would work.

Maybe I should borrow the gear from my friend to conduct experiments before boxing anything up!

Re: Mixing different strength signals

The split and blend is a buffered blend. I'm confused on what you're planning. If you want to do an aby box you don't need to balance the signals.

Re: Mixing different strength signals

Zanius
If it's on either "a" or "b" state, things are simple and nothing has to be done. But in the "y" state both signals will go for the same output. Then due to different impedance (I guess) one of them sounds ok but the other one gets lost in the backround. I'm looking to balance those two signals into the same "strength".

Again, I am talking about a Kaoss pad and a little synth piano going into the "aux in" of a jamman looper.

Re: Mixing different strength signals

Ok I get what you're talking about now. So if it's an issue of difference in volume, you can put an input pot at the begining of each of the signals going into the circuit. This way you can control its strength going into the circuit, which will just buffer the signal going out. I don't think it's an impudence issue, more of a signal strength, know what I mean? The only other issue could be that it's a phase issue....

Re: Mixing different strength signals

Zanius
Truth is I haven't tried it myself, but I trust my friend (who asked me for the box) with these things as he is a seasoned guitarist and pedalist :P

I was thinking that both sources have volume controls of their own and I suppose he has tried balancing them by tweaking each one's output. But maybe he had to settle on a lower overall volume to have balance between them, not sure.

Ok, I have some leads now, I will ask him to give me the synth and pad to try some things myself. Thanx for the answers!

Re: Mixing different strength signals

Re: Mixing different strength signals

I don't think the guitar based builds are going to be ideal since the two signals the OP wants to mix are most likely line level

Re: Mixing different strength signals

M. Spencer
So line level has more gain than mic level, which has more gain than instrument level (correct me if I'm wtong). So couldn't any guitar circuit be used with a line level signal if you have a pot at the front of the circuit to limit the inpit gain?