Mlcc

kirshman
Is there any reason a guy shouldn't use mlcc's for every capacitor need 10u and under.  They're cheap and small, my favorite combo.

Re: Mlcc

Beaker
No. These days I get miffed if I can't use them for any reason.

Re: Mlcc

agreed. i still prefer to use them when space is tight. the only issue i see is they seem to have short legs, well at least the ones i have do, so they won't make it across a bunch of rows.

Re: Mlcc

Muadzin
I basically use mlcc's for everything between 33n and 1u. But this is more because of cost as they are cheaper then box caps. And below 33n greenies are cheaper so greenies it is. I used to get up to 47n as greenies too, but they tended to be HUGE. So box caps they became. And now mlcc's.

rocket88 wrote
agreed. i still prefer to use them when space is tight. the only issue i see is they seem to have short legs, well at least the ones i have do, so they won't make it across a bunch of rows.
If push came to shove I'd just solder some extra clipping to one of the legs to make them longer. Also, how come we sort of have OCD (thanks to |v|ark) against standup resistors but no OCD against caps that have to span insanely long distances? Personally I find the latter WAY more annoying then the former.

Re: Mlcc

cylens
the more I use them, the more I use them... My 100 pack of 1uF box caps is yet to be opened...

Tayda is a good source for 5mm spacing MLCC, but does anyone has a good source for 2.5mm ones?

Re: Mlcc

cylens
wow, I think exactly the same!!! I personnally don't care about standing resistors but hate to bend the legs of caps.... hence my question above :D

Re: Mlcc

kirshman
I've been using them for the 2.2, 4.7 and 10u caps too.  i think induction was the first one i read saying that the positive negative layout of an electrolytic cap was a limitation not a bonus feature.  it's so nice to have a tiny little mlcc in there instead of another tall elctro.