Mosfet Pie

anders
Inspired by Skreddy Top Fuel and a DIY muff project One Knob Gilmour I have been tinkering with a big muff circuit using mosfet transistors for all four gain stages along with mosfets wired as diodes in the second clipping stage. I've been using 2N7000's just because I have tons of them but other mosfets like BS170 should work as well.
For more variety I added AMZ big muff tonestack.

Sounds tighter than a regular muff and has more distortion elements than fuzz. If any fancy building this shielded wires is a must since the gain is pretty high and it's on the edge of oscillation when pots is dimed.

Coupling cap values is mostly from Violet Rams Head muffs to give a balanced tone but those could be tweaked to desired values as well as the small BC caps.

Re: Mosfet Pie

Frank_NH
Great job, this looks pretty cool!  I love a new take on an old favorite like the Muff.  I wonder if putting a buffer at the input would help with the oscillation on these high gain circuits, but I suppose you could experiment with that.

Re: Mosfet Pie

storyboardist
This looks cool. Drew up a schematic in case anyone wants/needs it. Will probably draw up a perf/etch layout eventually. Thanks for sharing Anders!

Re: Mosfet Pie

anders
Wow! Thanks a lot! I'm terrible drawing nice looking schematics so your was godsend.

@ Frank NH. Yes, I have the same experience regarding sqquealing high gain circuits, a buffer usually cures it. Will try it when I get back home.

Re: Mosfet Pie

Frank_NH
I think I have enough MOSFETs to build this.  You can even use BS170s but make sure to reverse the pinouts!

Re: Mosfet Pie

Just a little side note.. The drain and source of most MOSFETs are interchangeable, so in this case the pinout discrepancies between the 2N7000 and BS170 may not matter

Re: Mosfet Pie

monasfx
Nice one! Very nice addition to existing Muff variants. Built it with 2n7000's. Didn't use shielded wire and no input buffer either but no oscillation yet. Thanks for this one!

Re: Mosfet Pie

monasfx
I'd like to add that I really like the tonestack of this fuzz, very versatile, you can get many different sounds out of it.

Mosfet Pie filling