Mounting leds

Re: Mounting leds

Marbles
Haha, I get your point, but still..

I have a superfuzz clone with a non working led, and man.. I have been in some situations where I had my volume all the way down and was turning off all the pedals I had on at that moment. In the heat of the moment and, well, drunk, I couldn't remember if I turned that one off as well or not..

I did found out it was on, but a little too late. Now that is on me ofcourse, but I find them to be convenient for that. Or when stacking loudness on loudness just to see what else I can add ;)

Re: Mounting leds

I'v had problems with the plastic pop-in bezels falling out of the enclosure, and I've had problems with the led falling out of the metal bezels.

I've never had a failure with a push in or glue in fixing. If the LED is loose in the hole, a drop of thick superglue of the side of the LED will hold it in place.

If you want to use the push in method, buy a #32 jobber drill. These measure 2.95 dia, so are 0.05mm (or 2 thousandth of an inch) smaller.

Re: Mounting leds

Marbles
I have had the problem with bezels popping into the enclosure as well. I think I will give it a shot.

Re: Mounting leds

If you use the wrong glue or not enough glue, then yes. I used some cheap ass hot glue once (identical looking stick mixed in with my good sticks) and the LED popped out when I pressed on it a little too hard which was super annoying. I brute forced it and superglued it in after that and it hasn't even thought about moving since.

Re: Mounting leds

motterpaul
I got VERY lucky and had a customer who gave me about 150 of these: (5mm with metal screw-on washer-reinforced bezels). They work best with about a 680R resistor (CLR)

These are the best because the hole can be too big by a few MMs and it still looks fine. They screw into place and the LED is protected from feet.

One problem with putting the LED in a hole by the footswitch is that the player can push it out when switching the pedal. A drawback of using glue to keep in it the hole is that the glue can leak onto the front side of the enclosure and even if it is transparent it still has gloss and looks bad.

I also have a lot of 3mm LEDs and the black plastic snap-in bezels and I just superglue the LEds into them about five at a time in advance (so I always have a few cured and ready to load). Before I got the free ones this worked pretty well.
12