Muff Mids?

Kinski
So, whats the best way to add a Mid pot to a Big Muff?

The recently posted Moen Muff is mentioned to have a 100k resistor instead of the normal 39k (or something like that) to boost mids. Would replacing that 100k with pot do the job?

I've also read about replacing some cap values and a resistor somewhere and adding a pot for a mid control.

Any ideas?

Re: Muff Mids?

Tune Tone

Im also currently into Green Russian Muff modding. mine is runs with BC550C  tranis.
For tonal results seems like you defiantly have to try different combinations of resis and capis in the Tone Stage. see the first photo on this pagehttp://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_guts.html#Circuit

Re: Muff Mids?

all the info you could ever want about modding any Big Muff, look here. to add a mid pot

Replace C1 with a 22n cap, and replace R2 with a 22k to 25k potmeter (wired as a variable resistor) with a 1k resistor wired in series. so take a look at the schematic to find R2 and C1, match it to the layout and you're good to go. it's something i'm looking at doing with a future muff, along with a bunch of other mods found on that page.

Re: Muff Mids?

Silver Blues
What Rocket said. You could also try the AMZ presence mod.

Re: Muff Mids?

I like the Skreddy style mids switch that Mark uses a lot because it seems to be the most non invasive. When the switch is off, you can have the classic muff sound with no alterations, then when you need more mids you can make it flat or bumped and select those caps to your taste

Re: Muff Mids?

Muadzin
Big fan of the Skreddy mids switch. Been on a kick to build every Muff variant there is and the Skreddy switch is both the most non-invasive way or the easiest way to mod for more mids. Just take signal from the Q3 collector and route it via the switch to Tone lug 3

Re: Muff Mids?

Kinski
Thanks guys. I think I'll ditch the pot idea and just use the toggle switch.