Mutron III voltages

ivo

Mutron III voltages

ivo
Yesterday I finished my MuTron III build and this was the first out of around 20 pedals that I´ve built that worked on first try. So far so good, thanks for this great website!

Now I´m not sure if everything is as it should be, it does sound plausible on all settings, but still not completely satisfying. I want to check IC voltages etc., but I didn´t find information on „correct“ voltages anywhere. Has anybody built it and knows what I should be aiming for or is kind enough to open it and take a look? Any help much appreciated, here are mine:
IC1
0    8,6
0    0,38
0    0
-8,1 0

IC2
0    8,6
0    7,65
0    2,88
-8,1  3,43

IC3
0   8,6
0   0
0   0
-8,1   0

By the way, I have used on/off/on switches for Range and Drive and while for the first „off“ position will be identical to one of the other options the latter switch yields a static wah sound in „off“ position, additionally to the default options it seems.

I have not used a bipolar 15uF cap like many do, but instead took the one elecrolytic I found as is shown in the layout, will it matter?

If anybody wants me to check anything in my build and post here I will happily do so, also sound examples or photos are possible of course.

Cheers!
ivo

Re: Mutron III voltages

ivo
Hm played around with it again, I assume it is default that the total volume of the guitar drops significantly when moving from LP setting on the mode switch.
And the BP and especially the HP require low gain pot settings to actually get anything out of it, while getting "full" sound on LP wherever you set the gain pretty much.

Regarding the IC voltages, I looked at the pinout sheet and am now wondering if I have to touch pin 4 (ground) with my negative probe when measuring? I was touching the ground lug of my DC jack before.

Re: Mutron III voltages

Marbles
Hi Ivo, I don't know if you still have problems or it's working?

Don't have experience with this pedal. but am interested in building it. If your DC jack is connected to ground it should be fine. All ground connections are connected someway. I always put the probe in one of screw holes of my (test)enclosure so I have a free hand.

Could you maybe post some pictures? Maybe there is something you overlooked (I always do). Can't help you with the voltages I'm afraid, but can offer a second pair of eyes.
ivo

Re: Mutron III voltages

ivo
Hey Marbles,
thanks for your message and sorry for the delay I stopped looking into the thread after some time and was dragged away from effects building for a month or so.
It always was working actually, it is just kind of "unusual" and the voltages seemed strange to me.
Regarding the voltage measuring I do as well put the probe in one of those holes but for this particular effect I was wondering if it made a difference, since there is a voltage converter (the ICL7660S) inside.

Anway, I think you shouldn´t waste your time checking my build (it is boxed already and looks like a  mess, thanks for the offer though, very much appreciated!), rather build your own if you haven´t in the meantime and let us compare voltages and sound afterwards, if you don´t mind. That would help me most.

Cheers!