My Bloody Valentine MBV

Dave
I know its not pedal related but, opinions?
Some people are saying it sounds dated, but in my opinion Loveless sounds ahead of its time even today so i disagree, i think its a really nice album, soothing.
thanks
Dave

Re: My Bloody Valentine MBV

Jon the Art Guy
man, this is a band I missed out on as a youth. I feel robbed. Now I'm not as into the wall-of-sound effects as I used to, but I once thought Siamese Dream had the pinnacle of guitar tone....and it turns out Billy Corrigan swiped that tone building process from an older, better at it, band.

I need to sit down with this new album and Loveless and absorb them.

Re: My Bloody Valentine MBV

Madferret
Siamese Dream's not a bad album to have from your youth though ;) I've never really listened to much My Bloody Valentine to be honest but I'll check the album and let you know what I think.

Re: My Bloody Valentine MBV

Jon the Art Guy
That howling intro to Cherub Rock with a pile of different fuzzes and distortions stack on top of each other is very much the MBV sound.

And yea, I can't complain. :D albums before and after didn't really have the same pure effect as SD. A little too much quiet production on them and not enough tonal experimentation.

Re: My Bloody Valentine MBV

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: My Bloody Valentine MBV

jtn191
I dig it. Only Tomorrow and New You were great--I liked a couple songs on Loveless too

Re: My Bloody Valentine MBV

alex.s
As a huge fan, I've been both waiting and dreading the moment it'd come out. Was delighted to hear it's a record that was well worth putting out.

As seminal and imitated My Bloody Valentine have been in the past 20+ years, no one has ever managed the same level and quality of sound, depth and tunes, which is what makes Loveless still stand out as an absolute masterpiece in my opinion. It came out 21+ years ago (will be 22 in November) but still sounds so unique as not to get even close to sounding dated in my opinion.

And for "m b v", very much of the same applies. It's Kevin Shield's realm, he knows what he wants and what he wants to do. And will find a way to make it happen. Eventually.

It sounds simply like My Bloody Valentine post Loveless. And it's not simple, of course. Many bands have taken different elements from MBV's music while writing their own, and I found it interesting to see which of those elements figure more predominantly in "m b v". You can recognise the familiar traits, but yet the result is greater than the mere sum, something most bands that came after 1991 didn't manage.

They flirt with poppier melodies, the odd electronic sound, obsessive loops, but manage to still sound like MBV and impose themselves as MBV. I think they managed, after all, to still be a class apart. Lots of time has passed, but it all remained suspended in Kevin Shield's world. And thanks god for that.

Re: My Bloody Valentine MBV

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: My Bloody Valentine MBV

otalgiafx
Like the new album a lot although personally preferred there more direct grunge songs (made me realise, Feed me with your kiss etc).  First saw them in some small club (International?) in Manchester, and then decades later in Manchester Apollo.  Thought it was strange to be handed out earplugs at the gig, didn't seem that loud to me.... Motorhead played much louder !  Noticed the Devi Ever White Spider on Kevins pedalboard, not seen that before did it morph into another of Devis pedals?