My Speaker Cranker sounds... wrong?

fx-fidden
Hello guys.
I built this http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/03/earthquaker-devices-speaker-cranker.html using the parts in the layout.
But i'm not sure it sounds as it should. I'm watching some demo on youtube and my build seems hasn't gain enough.
With pot at zero the volume is under the bypass and with some treble cut. Turning the pot it sounds pretty clean until higher setting, where it start to break up a bit. And in the last 10% or so the gain rise up abruptly. But the distortion is not so high, it's dirty, but not so aggressive like the pedal I watched in some video. I taken count I'm play it on clean channel.

2N3904 voltage with More at max.
C: 8.3
B: 3.9
E: 3.6

My emulator software expected smaller voltage at B and E.

What's your opinion?
Thanks.
I build pedals

Re: My Speaker Cranker sounds... wrong?

fx-fidden
On the braedboard I have a similar schematic, but just a couple of 1N4148 diodes.
I got about the same volume drop with the More pot at low settings. Even less distortion.
I tried another 5k pot, different transistors bought from different shop (2N2222A, 2N3904, 2N5088, 2N5089). None of these give me more volume at min More pot setting, and I don't think I reach the same amount of distortion I can hear in the demo. The ones with higher hfe give me more aggressive tone, but nothing more.
I tried to jumper the 330R, in this way I got more grit sound at high gain setting, but still low volume at min.
I build pedals

Re: My Speaker Cranker sounds... wrong?

fx-fidden
Long story short: my bad! I had lying in my stock 10k resistors that were actually 1k. That was the mistake on the board AND on the breadboard.
I solved it.
Though one guy build pedals since some years the stupid mistake are always the same.

I still don't know if I have to add a 100-330pF cap between collector and base (somehow, the layout doesn't help) to cut the harshness.

Bye!
I build pedals