My fave Muff so far

HamishR
I don't know if anyone will find this as fascinating as I do, but I have experimented with Muffs over the last year or two, looking for something with a very vocal tone to it, less gain and more touch-responsiveness than your basic Muff.  I have found that I love Skreddy's designs and some of the Earthquaker ideas are great.

I also discovered that I really like the Supa Tone - a Muff with fewer diodes so less saturation.  And after reading what Mirosol has said on the main page I have experimented with lower-gain transistors. So now I have got very close to my ideal Muff - it's a mix of Supa Tone and Skreddy Pink Flesh.  It's not radical, it's not earth-shattering or a noise-machine.  It can get very saturated but I like it with gain closer to minimum.  As you turn the gain up from zero you will hear it kick in at around 7.30 or so on the dial.  That's generally where I have it.  It satisfies all my Gilmour/Peter Koppes tone cravings and even Black Keys sounds depending on the guitar.  So it's a kinda super creamy, super vocal-sounding over-drive fuzz.  Less fizz and more tone.  I hope someone else finds it as useful as I do.  :-)

Oh, I based the layout on Mark's excellent work on the main page.

Re: My fave Muff so far

Blackboarcult
Nice work Hamish!
I like the idea of a "low-gainish" Muff. Have you drawn a schematic? Lately I like to breadboard before building to see if I like the circuit...
Cheers!

Re: My fave Muff so far

HamishR
Thanks Mr Blackboarcult.    (BTW the first few times I saw your screen name I thought it said "Black board cult".  Thought you must have been a teacher.)

No I haven't bothered drawing a schematic.  It's not as low gain as the Supa-Tone but it's low enough!  Played it with a les paul today and it was amazing.  I can post a Supa-Tone schematic of that helps?  I drew up the Skreddy version and have built it with BC183L and with 2N2222A transistors - it's pretty darn wonderful.  The Pink Flesheater above is a bigger sound though and a little more vocal.

Re: My fave Muff so far

Blackboarcult
Hahahaha I'm far from a teacher, that nickname came from a huge wild boar we saw one night while boozing out to BÖC in the woods, back when I was a teen... I kept it since then cos it sounds cool
I have the Supa Tonebender schem from Coda Effects, is that the right one?
Thanks mate!

Re: My fave Muff so far

HamishR
That schematic is for the original Supa Tone - I ended up doing a schematic of the Skreddy version.  I found it online somewhere and drew my own version of it.

Re: My fave Muff so far

Blackboarcult
Thanks mate! I'll give it a go as soon as my To-Do list gets cleared