NPN Selmer Buzztone w/ LM317 adaptor and Gain Switch

NPN Selmer Buzztone w/ LM317 adaptor and Gain Switch

cjonesplay
I know there are layouts on the main page, but not adapted for NPN and w/ voltage adapter.
I was pleasantly surprised by how great this sounds and how much easier it was to build after I made a few FZ-1's. IMO the gain switch is completely necessary, as it puts out more mids and and so has a slightly different tone than the original, even when turned down.

Be aware, second version has standing resistors and there isn't a lot of space for large trannies, so either lay your electrolytics down flat or plan for it to be tall:) I have only verified the top layout, not the compact one.

Enjoy!!

Re: NPN Selmer Buzztone w/ LM317 adaptor and Gain Switch

azerty_guitar
Any advices for NPN germanium transistor that you have use in it ?
thks, Simon

Re: NPN Selmer Buzztone w/ LM317 adaptor and Gain Switch

cjonesplay
I think I used MP404B and the gains were around ~80 for all three. High leakage is most important, especially for Q2. I think I had around ~500 milliamps for that one. You need to have a lot of different transistors to find the right ones, so don’t think you can just get lucky with buying 3, because most likely you will be disappointed.

Check the main page for the original Buzztone layout or search diystompboxes for more advice. The gain switch turns this into an amazing fuzz!