Need Guidance on Wiring the BYOC Tremelo pedal

Need Guidance on Wiring the BYOC Tremelo pedal

JoeM
Hello:

I am attempting my 1st build, the BYOC Tremelo pedal. I have completed the vero board and am now ready to wire the device, and I need some guidance.

I. I have read the Guitar FX Layouts Offboard Wiring tutorial and will generally be following it, although the comments on the BYOC build make the following special notations from previous builders:

a. 3PDT wiring is different from normal because it uses one pole of the switch to kill the LFO.

b. 100(C) (Rate Control - Top left) reverse log but acted like 100 (A)(Depth Control). Reversed the legs and used a 10mm LED.

With respect to (a) above, what changes on the wiring?

With respect to (b) above, how do you hook up this 10mm LED? From where to where?

II. Now to the vero buildout diagram:

a. Volume (100K Log) - I read this as Vol 1 goes to Pot hookup 1 and Vol 3 to pot hookup 3.

b. SW2 - I read this as going to 3PDT Switch 2.

c. Ground - I read this as going to the 9V connector, then to Input jack and then to Output jack.

LED+  and LED - - I have NO CLUE. Help Please.

9v - Connects to 9v connector.

Depth 3 - Connects to pot hookup 3 on Depth.

Rate 2 and 3 - Is this 2 wires (one connected from the vero board to pot 2 and another wire to pot 3, something else. Help Please.

Sw7 - I read this as going to 3PDT Switch 7.

Depth 2 - Connects to pot 2 on Depth.

Depth 1 and Rate 1 - No idea. Help here please.

Thanks to anyone who can help clarify the Help Please sections and verify that my understanding is correct on the other hookups.

As an aside, I am also looking to build a pedal that can emulate tape. I would appreciate any suggestions. I play acoustic guitar almost exclusively so that just general info.

Thank You,

Joe

Re: Need Guidance on Wiring the BYOC Tremelo pedal

There are so many questions and I’m confused what you’re trying to ask but I will try.

Your first questions are all answered by looking at the layout. The switch wiring and LED wiring are shown in the layout. I probably can’t explain it any better in words than it is shown on the layout but if you have a specific question like which lug is + or - on an LED we can help with that.

10mm would be an unusually large LED for a stompbox btw, usually they are 3mm or 5mm

The wiring is the same as the wiring guide except for the bypass switch. For 9V and ground connections, refer to the wiring guide.

The longer leg on an LED is +. The other is -
There is usually a flat side of the LED which indicates the - leg.
If the LED legs are clipped and there is no flat side, you can still tell which side is + and - by looking into the LED. There will be one larger flag shaped metal piece and one smaller metal piece. The small part is the anode or +, the larger flag shaped part is the cathode or -

Rate 2 and 3 is one wire from the board soldered to lugs 2 and 3 of rate pot. On the end of the wire that connects to the pot lugs, strip off more of the jacket so you have enough bare wire to feed through both lugs, then solder.

Regarding the tape sound.. we have a layout for the Midfi Demo Tape Fuzz which emulates specifically the Tascam cassette recorder sound. I know DIYRE has a “Colour module” called 15IPS and Sound Skulptor has a more advanced tape emulator if you happen to have a 500 series rack.

Re: Need Guidance on Wiring the BYOC Tremelo pedal

JoeM
Thank You Travis. I am using the Offboard Wiring Diagram and will continue to use this.

Thanks for your suggestions on the LED and for Rate 2 and 3.

Would you please verify how Depth 1 and Rate 1 are wired? Is this 2 wires going to different pots but soldered to the board at a single junction, or something different?

Thanks so much for your help. I having a blast figuring this out and starting my guitar pedal journey.

Regards,

Joe

Re: Need Guidance on Wiring the BYOC Tremelo pedal

Depth 1 and rate 1 are linked together with one wire, then a second wire connects the board to either of those pot lugs.

Essentially a “daisy chain”

Re: Need Guidance on Wiring the BYOC Tremelo pedal

JoeM
Thanks Travis. And thank you for the recommendation for a tape emulation pedal.

I'm almost seventy and this is delightful fun for an old musician with time on his hands.

Thanks again so much. I apologize for the not so intelligent questions.

Regards,

Joe