Need some suggestions

n8

Need some suggestions

n8
I'm currently building a rig from the ground up with some OD pedals (built with layouts from this site, thanks guys) going through a Peavey Classic 60 power amp. Presently I am not using a preamp, I have a MXR 10 band EQ at the end of my chain which puts out a good bit of output. I can get really full and great tones but only at one very loud volume. I'm assuming a preamp will provide me with that constant output to keep the fullness in the tone.

So two questions:
1. Does anyone have a recommendation for a simple, budget tube or SS preamp that isn't going to restrict my sound? Since I really only need something simple I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars, but I don't want something that is going to compress the hell out of my tone. Keeping that full warm sound is important to me.
2. Are the preamp pedals meant to push power amps? From what I've read, lots of people put them in front of guitar heads. Is that what they were meant for or do people not understand what a preamp is?

Thanks,
Nate