New toy

Not a pedal, but think some of you gearheads might appreciate this. My latest acquisition. A 1990 g&l l-5000. Last bass Leo fender designed, only 5 string bass he designed, and 1 of 400.

Here she is with her older long lost sister. A 1980 g&l l1000. Trans red, mahogany body, ebony fretboard, and 1 of ??? Since there weren't many made ins this combo, an not many with a mahogany body.

Re: New toy

Silver Blues
Nice, man.

Re: New toy

Yes very nice.  That looks like my office with gear all over the place.  I've got a mini Marshall stack with an Engl head and rack next to me now and most of my guitars.  Although office isn't really the right word I suppose because I work from home with a laptop on my knee sat in the living room, and the only time I'm in the "office" is at night because my desktop is in here which I play games on

Re: New toy

Thanks silver. Haha. I hear you Mark. These two barely touch what I have hiding in that room. I have 3 amps (old fender bass amp, bugera v22, and mesa m6 with matching 4x10 cap), a total of 8 basses (tobias growler, these 2 g&l's, an acoustic, fender jazz I made fretless with jaco's actual pickups, custom jazz I built, fender pj jaguar I rebuilt to my soecs, and custom 5 string in building from screech), 8 guitars(2 g&l's, modded epiphone les paul, acoustic, 2 danectros, an old mij guitar I built, midi keyboard, and 2 random ones), and so many pedals I lost count. Not counting all the parts I have collected since finding this site and building things.

My old lady is not too pleased, but I told her as long as I have less guitars and basses then she has shoes she can't say anything about it. Lol

Re: New toy

tjdracz
Nice one! I've been on the lookout for one of these G&Like SC series guitars ever since I've seen them in the hands of Band of Susans:
http://youtu.be/vsk5jxNlfZk
Also these Leo designed Music Man Sabre and Stingrays guitars look right cool!

Re: New toy

oh man tj, i've only seen 1 in the wild, and it was a similar color to the one in the youtube video. let's just say i wasn't allowed to even pick it up, since i probably would have walked out with it. The Leo Era music man stuff is supposed to be fantastic, but never actually had the chance to play one or see one in real life.

Re: New toy

tjdracz
Some guy in a local band had a Stingray guitar. Offered him 400, 500, 600 pounds but he didn't want to part with it! Guess I'm stuck with my Strat copy. But one day...

Re: New toy

wow. that's crazy. have you tried the g&l legacy? i have one and i loved it so much that i got rid of my strat for it. sounds like a vintage strat, super comfortable fast neck. the same thing happened with my tele, and got an asat. and if you don't want to spend a ton on one check out the tribute line. they have the same electronics as the american, but made in indonesia and you have to choose an available color, you can't customize it like the american.

Re: New toy

tjdracz
Yeah, I've seen them. TBH, I'm quite happy with my Strat. It's Vintage V6, Chinese made but got alder body and Wilkinson hardware. Plays really nice when properly adjusted and pickups give you that Strat tone. Beats all the Squiers I've played and even gives NIM fender a good fight, especially considering the price. Actually, they are more expensive now than when I bought it couple of years back, plus I think they are using some cheaper wood now.
I like that PTB tone control of G&L though. Probably next time the string breaks, I will open it up and wire it that way, adding a switch on the pot to engage bridge+neck and all three pickups together. Currently, I've dropped one of the tone controls for a killswitch (in my Tom Morello phase) but as it's not really used much, I will ditch it and will build a small stomp killswitch if i ever fancy it back ;)

Re: New toy

haha, nice. nothing wrong with that. i have a few cheaper guitars and basses that i bought to play around with, and they are just as good if not better then most MIM or squires too. as time's gone on i really feel fender just lives off the fender name rather than make good stuff anymore. the actual fender jazz i have i bought specifically to rip the frets out and coat the fretboard with boat epoxy during my jaco phase. then it snowballed to better tuners, badass bridge, then ask MJ at seymour duncan if she could make me pickups exactly like she made for jaco back in the day. she was so surprised someone knew about that and after talking to me for awhile about them, she was nice enough to make them for me.

Re: New toy

tjdracz
Nice! I know the snowball effect! I bought a 70s Czechoslovakia-made Jolana guitar for equivalent of £10. Thought that you can't really go wrong at that price. It needed a tuner though so I've replaced that and later it was followed by pickup, pots, refret... easily spend couple of times more than I paid for it!
Still, it's a nice little one, short scale with the skinniest neck I've ever played. I kid you not, this thing must be around 38mm at the nut and even that might be overstatement ;)
One more thing, you know these aluminium neck guitars? That people rever for their 'metallic' tonal qualities? Don't spend a bomb on that, get yourself the cheapest possible ex-eastern bloc guitar! Now every time you hit the strings, the truss rod will rattle! And believe me, it's metallic alright :p

Re: New toy

Haha. I hear that. I don't even want to know what I out into some of my instruments. My jaguar I bought because I wanted something different, and the neck felt great. Took her home and played with her a bit, next think I know I ordered tuners, new bridge, and new pickups all because the bridge wouldn't hold the stings in place, and fender uses cheap-o tuners. And then I thought hey, why not add a selector switch to give more tonal variations with the pj combo, so what the hell I ordered pickups too. I planning to add a preamp, but I know somehow when I do that it will lead to something else. Lol