OCD V3 Debugging

Kris_R
Hey guys, this is my first pedal build from scratch, and lo and behold, it's not working. Works fine in bypass, but I get nothing with the effect on. The led does light up, though.

Now here's the weird part: I tried to check the voltages at each pin on the IC, but I was getting negative values, like I had the leads reversed. The long lead on the DC jack is the ground, correct?

Any help is appreciated.

Re: OCD V3 Debugging

Beaker
Difficult to see your power socket wiring from your photo - there is a green wire obscuring the connections. If you are using one of the standard plastic DC power sockets, the tip connection (negative in this case) is the " L " shaped tag. The ground wire should be hooked up to there.

Be VERY careful with this. Only ever test your builds with a battery. Get things badly wrong, and you will cook your battery in seconds. Do the same thing with a power supply, and you will fry the power supply in seconds. Annoying if it is a cheap wall wart, heartbreaking if it is a Voodoo Labs, TC Electronic or similar high end, big bucks model.

Re: OCD V3 Debugging

Kris_R
This is just a 2 prong socket, there isn't a L shaped prong, only a short prong and a long prong.

Re: OCD V3 Debugging

Hozy31
If i remember correctly the 9v should go to the long prong and ground to the short prong. I think you have them the wrong way round.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: OCD V3 Debugging

Ok, I've not used those sockets, so I'm not sure which terminal is tip, and which is sleeve.

Use your multimeter if you have one, to check. Set it to continuity test, touch one probe to the sockets' tip, and the other to each of the terminals. It should "beep" on one, but not the other.
Connect your gound wire to the terminal that gives you a beep.