OPAMP construction and mod

mojo321
I'm just curious, has anyone ever tried to reproduce an entire chip out of individual components from the datasheet schematics?

Like an NE5532?

Why, you ask?  I don't know.   I was just looking at the data sheet schematic and wondered to myself, how much of that is not needed for some of these stopmbox applications, and, after stripping it down, what mods could you do with what's left?

Crazy idea, I know...I just thought it would be neat to try different transistors....

Re: OPAMP construction and mod

Silver Blues
Certainly an innovative idea. I feel like that'd be hard as shit though, I count 29 transistors, 18 resistors, 4 caps, and two diodes in that schematic (which was by itself hard to make sense of!) and I might still be off. I've never tried it and have no idea what would happen if you started pulling and swapping stuff

Re: OPAMP construction and mod

mojo321
HAHAHAHA!   29 resistors!  Well, never mind!  LOL

Re: OPAMP construction and mod

Freppo
This idea actually crossed my mind!

In pro audio everything "high end" is typically discrete (No IC's)
Discrete is one of those fancy buzzwords amongst the pro audio geeks..

So I thought about doing a simple TS type circuit based around this discrete op-amp:
http://sound.westhost.com/project07.htm

But in reality I don't think that it might be a good idea for stompbox applications...

"it doesn't even come close to something like the NE5532 dual op-amp, and it draws a lot more current, too"

"the input impedance and bias current are much worse than even the poor old 741, but bandwidth, noise and distortion can be expected to be much better. Just don't try to use it with really high impedance circuits"

Could be a fun experiment though.. ?
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se