Octave Doubling Fuzz

MAO

Octave Doubling Fuzz

MAO
This post was updated on .
Project 32 from Craig Anderton's DIY Projects for Guitarists

Includes madbean Road Rage +9/-9 supply

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
gul

Re: Octave Doubling Fuzz

gul
I'm pretty stoked you've begun doing these Anderton layouts!
MAO

Re: Octave Doubling Fuzz

MAO
Thanks loe, Craig is the reason I started building pedals in the 90s. Expensive hobby back then.

I didn't do much in the early 2000s, then Brain Wampler, Tagboards and Tayda came on the scene and I've been obsessed ever since :0)

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Octave Doubling Fuzz

amsterdam
Hi MAO, another great looking layout. I'm counting 13 links? Working on this now. hope to have the board together tonight...
MAO

Re: Octave Doubling Fuzz

MAO
Thanks amsterdam,
You are correct, 13 links, layout updated.
Let me know how it goes.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Octave Doubling Fuzz

amsterdam
I have no prior experience with this nor have I done any research on it. It seems to be working as it should, although when "chan 1" is in the on position, the "chan 2" pot acts as a volume and makes no other audible difference to my ears.  I omitted the 9.1 zener (because they seem to be out of stock ;) and used the 4001s and the 220p.  Other than that, this is a cool sounding effect.  I can report back with voltages if this seems out of the norm.
MAO

Re: Octave Doubling Fuzz

MAO
I will double check the layout and values again, here is the text from the book:

Testing the Octave-Doubling Fuzz

Check fuzz channel 2.
Turn the OD control all the way counter-clockwise and close Channel 1 switch. Next, turn the channel 2 level control up full; you'll notice that while this does not produce a normal fuzz sound, it does create one which is still quite distorted. Most important of all, though, this fuzz is dynamically responsive. With most fuzzes, whether you play a soft note or a loud one, they usually come out at the same level. However with fuzz channel 2, the harder you pick, the louder the note sounds. To create a more distorted sound, turn up the OD control.

Check fuzz channel 1.
Return OD control to full down, and open the Channel 1 Switch. Then turn Channel 2 Level control full down. You should hear a basically clean sound. Now turn up the OD control, and you'll get sounds that are very similar to a conventional fuzz.

Combine channels 1 and 2.
Leave Channel 1 Switch open, and turn OD control all the way down. Next, turn Channel 2 Level all the way up, then play some single-note runs around the 12th fret area of your guitar's neck. The overall sound should now include a tone that is an octave higher than the actual note being fingered on your guitar. This effect comes into play around the 7th fret. Lower notes won't sound bad, but you won't get as prominent a harmonic accent effect.

Start turning down Channel 2 Level, and you'll notice that the harmonic emphasis goes away until the control is all the way off, at which point you're left with only the channel 2 sound. Return Channel 2 Level to full up, and then begin to experiment with the overdrive control; by turning it up, you should get the same type of octave-doubled sound, but with more intensity.

The doubling effect works best when the signal levels out of fuzz channel 1 and fuzz channel 2 are exactly matched, so experiment with Channel 2 Level until you get the best overall sound.

An additional by-product of combining channels 1 and 2 is the series of effects you obtain by playing intervals. For starters, fret a standard D major barre chord at the 10th fret and strum the top three strings. This produces a chimelike, ring modulation sort of sound. Try this at other places on the neck, then try playing fifths, ninths, and octaves; they each acquire different characteristics when mixing fuzz channels 1 and 2 together.

Because fuzz channel 2 has dynamics, you can follow this fuzz with an envelope-controlled effect and get better results than you would with a conventional fuzz. Be sure to try the Octave-Doubling Fuzz with other effects; I think you're going to have a pretty good time adding these new sounds to your musical vocabulary.

Tips for Best Results
You'll get best results with the bass (neck) guitar pickup, especially if you turn the tone control all the way down (minimum treble). Start experimenting with other pickups and tone settings only after you get a feeling for the unit's overall operation.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

Re: Octave Doubling Fuzz

MAO
The layout appears to match the schematic in the book.

Let me know if the "how to" text I posted helped.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Octave Doubling Fuzz

amsterdam
My build seems to match your layout and it checked out against the guide you posted.  Someone over at DIYstompboxesseems to have a lot of gripes about this one, so maybe it's normal.  I'm no electrical engineer and I have had a few beers, so I'd be wiling to call it verified and awesome and totally box-able.
MAO

Re: Octave Doubling Fuzz

MAO
:0)

How is the amount of hiss?

I just read this suggestion from Mark Hammer over at DIY

The stock design has no lowpass filtering on the output stage to keep hiss/noise from the output, even though it introduces lots of gain.  Stick a 68 to 100pf cap in parallel with the 220k resistor in the output stage (100pf = 7.2khz rolloff, 68pf = 10.6khz rolloff).
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Octave Doubling Fuzz

amsterdam
I don't have any audible hiss at low volumes through my home made practice amp.  I only get noise when I max the level pot, and that is well above unity, so I don't see that being an issue.  I'll have to report back after I box this thing and stick it to my board for a more definitive answer.  I figure that would be a better time to test other pF values there.  I'm definitely looking forward to trying this with my Snow White autowah.  YerayM's post with the sidechain input definitely deserves a plug http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Sidechain-Input-mod-for-Snow-White-AutoWah-td9450.html

Re: Octave Doubling Fuzz

amsterdam
I came across some 9.1v zeners in my collection, and it seems to make no audible difference. I will check again after I box it. But since I have those in stock now, I can start on the Ultra Fuzz in the next few days.
MAO

Re: Octave Doubling Fuzz

MAO
Cool, thanks for the info.

The zeners are just there to protect the charge pump from over voltage, they won't have any effect on the sound, but will save the charge pump if to much voltage is applied.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Octave Doubling Fuzz

amsterdam
makes sense. Thanks again for another great layout!