Offboard Help

So I have a couple pedals I built here, and want to add a 9V battery plug to it so I dont always need an outlet. Can I keep the same offboard wiring that Mark has on here, but replace the input with a stereo jack keeping the normal wiring the same, and wire the 9V to the tip and the dc jack?

I was thinking about this after reading this from beavis audio. I want to keep the switch wired the same, as I've only had 100% luck with Marks wiring scheme.

Re: Offboard Help

GoranP
Absolutely. Just follow the two schematics I linked to over here regarding the battery/dc/input wiring, the rest of the footswitch can be as per Mark's diagram. It's a same thing as Beavis, really...

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Help-troubleshooting-a-circuit-tp3543.html

Re: Offboard Help

Thanks man. I don't know why when I did the beavis wiring or any other the pedal doesn't work. It's been driving me crazy.

Re: Offboard Help

GoranP

Well it shouldn't be all that difficult to get to the bottom of this. Can you give us some pictures of the offending circuit, especially the input jack and the dc/battery wiring?

Does the effect work fine without your battery modifications (i.e. when you follow Mark's diagram to the letter)?

Re: Offboard Help

II cant take pictures of it now as I have changed it to Marks diagram, but i removed the battery and changed it to Marks diagram and run it off dc it works perfectly. I probably got lost somewhere in the wiring for the other method, Marks is much simpler. If I do as you suggested in the other post Goran, then I just remove the mono input, replace it with a stereo jack. Then wire the positive battery to the third rung on the dc jack, and put the negative to the ground on the dc jack, and run it to the ring. Then run the ground of the stereo jack as normal attached to the S lug of the stereo jack. Right?

Re: Offboard Help

dexxyy
No, you need to run the positive from the battery clip to the dc jack, But run the negative from the battery clip directly to the ring of the stereo jack. Doing it the way you described will not disconnect the battery if you plug into a power supply.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Offboard Help

GoranP

Dexxyy, I'm not sure that's the case...

The way I see it, both grounds need to go to the input ring, in order to disconnect whichever power source is active at the moment.
Which power source it actually is (dc/9v) gets decided through dc jack internal switching. Battery + should be wired to the "middle" lug which, in absence of the dc jack, is shorted to the outside lug which is connected to the 9v on the circuit (and the outside pin of the dc jack). Once dc gets inserted, the dc jack middle and outer lugs are no longer shortcircuited, the battery (middle) lug gets disconnected and 9v circuit wire gets power from the wallbrick source only.

Re: Offboard Help

 Nice. Thanks Goran. I got both pedals working now. One of them is a little noisey though, and not sure if its normal for the circuit. It's a DAM Fr-70. Its a low hiss until I play, then it goes away.