Old resistor lot.

toolguy
I can't remember if I posted this anywhere... I bought a HUGE lot of old resistors a few years ago at a local Flea market.
 Problem is the values are not standard (ie. 887 ohm ect.).
Can I realistically use these in a layout if they are "close" to standard value..or will it more than likely mess up the voltages ect?

Also... they are old (@1976) ...Do resistors go bad over time?

Overflowing with these things...lol

Re: Old resistor lot.

Of course you can use nonstandard values. A lot of layouts call for resistors or caps that we may not have, but can be replaced with on of similar/close value of by combining values to achieve the desired value. There should be little to no change in tone, unless you use seething that's very different, say 1k I place of 100k resistor. And no they don't go bad overtime. That's why people of ape over building using old NOS parts, so you go nothing to worry about.

Re: Old resistor lot.

Yes no problem.  I've got lots of Dale metal film resistors which are almost all more obscure values and have used them in lots of builds.  Just because the original pedal used a 470K (for instance) there's nothing to say that a 487K won't actually sound better because it just hits a sweet spot.

There's no problem in ever using something close rather than the exact value.  Or maybe something that isn't even close, I'm sure that's how some builders come up with their "new" ideas.

Re: Old resistor lot.

inefficiency
Your point about the "new ideas" is a theory I've had a while now.

I'm pretty sure things like the One Knob Fuzz variants were basically just created by breadboarding it and then swapping bits out until they found a combination they liked.

I'm always up for subbing close values. I feel like that way your clone will always sound a little different and your tone will be unique rather than being like everyone else who has that pedal - even if by an impercievable amount. The only place where I wouldn't sub a value is one that is for biasing the transistor, which after a few teething troubles I always use a trimmer for now anyway.

Re: Old resistor lot.

toolguy
Great...Thanks for the help guys.
Much appreciated.