Optical Tremolo 2.0 question

vid.sicious
Hey there! So I'm planning on building this really interesting tremolo pedal. Not so much for the effect but simply for how purely awesome it looks.

http://makezine.com/projects/optical-tremolo-2/

I want to make a couple of mods to this original guide though but I'm quite a new so I need your help and advice. First of all, in the guide they use the on/off switch which cuts power to the spinning motor and most of the pedal when it's off. This gives the pedal a slight delay when engaged because it takes a couple of seconds for the motor to spinthe disc to speed required. I want to make it spin whenever it's plugged into 9v dc and receiving power and the on/off switch to act only as signal bypass. And another thing I want to change is obviously, the switch itself. I'd prefer to use a 3PDT and offboard wiring diagram from this site. Would changing the switch and following the offboard wiring diagram answer my questions? Thanks in advance!
aka Dead Eye

Re: Optical Tremolo 2.0 question

Ciaran Haslett
Thats a great looking project!

Easiest way would be to leave the the power rails intact (or keep the toggle if you want to power up/down the motor when not in use) and just add a 3PDT footswitch to switch in the audio path just like we do here with True Bypass  wiring.  That way the curcuit remains under power and ready (just like you see here) and our guitar signal is either switched into the circuit or switched out. (Just like you see here again)

You could even expand on the whole idea by taking the speed pot to an expression pedal instead that way you can vary the speed on the fly or even have a second stomp switch for 2 preset speeds (you'll need to constuct the speed controller differently in order to do this).  This would then simulate the way a Leslie cabinet ramps up/down in speed due to the physical time it takes for the motor to speed up/down.

Hell you could go all out and use this as a standalone LFO and try pumping it into other pedals that have one.

If you do make this, please report back here.  I'd love to see your build.

Ciaran

Re: Optical Tremolo 2.0 question

vid.sicious
Thanks for your input! I agree with the idea of keeping the on/off switch and just adding the 3pdt. I don't think quite that advanced to start making it into a Leslie simulation but I've been looking at the Beavis Doppler Box concept and was wondering if anyone attempted it. It's a cool idea, an analogue mini stompbox version of a Leslie cab.
I'll definitely report back when I start building it! I've got a couple muffs ahead first but I definitely want that tremolo. I wonder what it would sound like with a dick drawn onto the disc haha :D
aka Dead Eye