Over the weekend I.....

bogey
...Finally finished my first build. It's taken a long time but I've learnt a lot, managed to build a stash of parts and materials to build some more pedals and what's more it actually works and sounds good. Pics on the 'pedal guts' thread(if I can manage to upload them,computer skills are not my strong point). HOORAH.

Re: Over the weekend I.....

dbat69
Great work bud, very soon you'll be hooked like the rest of us - this hobby I have found to be VERY addictive   I hope you enjoy the ride as much as we all seem to be - even though we produce silicon duds every now and then or pedals which just sound, well, meh

Re: Over the weekend I.....

That's a REALLY neat build for a first pedal. Well done - and not the easiest of pedals either. It's a notoriously ficke circuit, and causes many builders a lot of grief.

Do you have any problems with ticking?

Re: Over the weekend I.....

inefficiency
Hell yes.

That's awesome work, man. Not just good for your first build, but good in general!

My first build was in an old tin that used to have boiled sweets in it and the gutshot looked like a birds nest.

Re: Over the weekend I.....

Beaker
"That's awesome work, man. Not just good for your first build, but good in general!"

Agreed, took me quite a while to get as good.

Re: Over the weekend I.....

can't agree more, great job buddy. speaking of addictive, just be careful not to get a whiff of Germanium, now that shit will get you hooked. i'm still working on getting over that addiction, but then again 600 Ge's just arrived at my door today.....

Re: Over the weekend I.....

inefficiency
Rocket knows where to get the good shit...

Re: Over the weekend I.....

Re: Over the weekend I.....

bogey
thanks for the nice comments guys (most encouraging). I think I'm already hooked and have a couple more circuits built that I may box(demo tape fuzz and coloursound one knob fuzz. I also built an echobender but that one is giving me trouble,could be the pt 2399 I've read they can be a PITA).anyhow I wouldn't have been able to do it without all the good ideas and advice I've found on this forum so a special thanks should go to Mark and Miro. So once again THANKYOU EVERYBODY

Re: Over the weekend I.....

Frank_NH
Good job Bogey!

Don't worry - if you're not hooked now you soon will be.    I just finished up a Wampler Ecstasy overdrive, and I built it because someone on one of the Gretsch forums said it was the best overdrive he's tried, and I saw the vero and said...hmmmm, I can build that!    And so I did...I'll test it tonight.

Re: Over the weekend I.....

For what it's worth, I built a Demo Tape Fuzz and it ended up in my recycle box - it had a really nasty, unnatural note decay/breakup characteristic, that I was completely unable to get rid of.

Shame really as otherwise it was pretty good - had a great tone circuit - if it wasn't for the decay, it would have nailed Paul Westerberg's guitar sound.

Still there's prenty more to try, so have fun!

Re: Over the weekend I.....

bogey
Cheers for the info Beaker. not really played around with the demo tape fuzz yet as I have been concentrating on finishing the VRP, which yes does have a very slight tick but nothing I can't live with. i'll report back when I've had a chance to tinker.

Re: Over the weekend I.....

Beaker
A slight tick is completely normal - you won't get rid of it completely. Using shielded wire on the input and output helps, and the other thing to watch out for is anything pressing on the BJT. If it does the BJT will become microphonic, and tick louder!

Re: Over the weekend I.....

Yes very nice job.  Considerably better than my first effort and that was only a Super Hard On