PCB prototyping machine

Sensei Tim

Re: PCB prototyping machine

That would be awesome.  I always fancied some sort of small CNC to do this but it all seemed a bit untidy getting the software to communicate with it, so an integrated package like this would be amazing.

I'll be looking on at this with interest

Re: PCB prototyping machine

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
i've build a cnc, big enough for guitar bodies. it cost me at about 300euros. (i'm not 100% sure)
i'm milling my boards now...

so sorry i'm leaving veroboards!!!!after all these years my heart is dedicated to you!!!

anyway..
the results are fantastic.
it takes some time to learn your machine and how fast you can go through different materials , but after all it was much easier than building pedals. you have to know how to use photoshop, inkscape, etc...and boom!
pcbs in 7 minutes. and while you're soldering, the machine engraves the enclosure.. it takes about 2,5 hours with my set up, but i still have a dremel tool so it has to go sloooow...

zendrive pcb

zendrive enclosure

keeley comp pcb&enclosure

keeley finished

Re: PCB prototyping machine

Frank_NH
That's really cool Savvas!

As for veroboards, I feel they still are better than PCBs if you're only going to make one circuit for yourself.  If a commercial PCB is available or you enjoy the challenge, that's fine, but I can pretty much have most any circuit built in one evening with vero.  Now, if I were building a popular circuit for others, I would definitely go the PCB route, which is generally more consistent from one build to the next.

Re: PCB prototyping machine

Awesome mate, that's exactly what I was planning to do.  Nice to hear it isn't as much of a faff as I thought it would be

Re: PCB prototyping machine

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
Thanks guys!
You know i wrote a post here a few weeks ago where i said i can help any of you guys to build one for much less money.(cause i bought some staff i didn't need, and some to have in case something breaks)
 And Mark yes...it's not difficult  at all. I'll say this again. If you can solder a pedal, and can think where you should put the holes on the enclosure, you' ll find that this cnc myth is just a joke.

In a few words, you have to draw the picture you want.just like toner transfer just not mirrored.make an svg file of that. I found that the easiest way for me is inkscape.. Then you open that svg file on the online program makercam.com. and give the rates and other information about the machine.the it will produce the gcode that you're going to run with the actual cnc program, the universal gcode sender

As for the actual build of the cnc, i can provide my original plans to every one here with the links for everything you need motors-arduino-shield-drivers and everything

(I said i would make a tutorial only if somebody really wants a cnc.cause it will take a lot of my time.)
I thing i'll do it anyway...

(Sorry for my english..i'm on my phone so...)