Parallel Wiring (perhaps with shared master volume?)

Parallel Wiring (perhaps with shared master volume?)

Kinski
I'd like to make a noise box that has two atari punk consoles that run in parallel. Ideally they would both share a single tone and volume control. Is that at all possible?

Would this work?

OUT of both APCs to the IN of the TONE.
Then the OUT of the TONE to the IN of the VOL.
Then OUT of VOL to OUTPUT JACK?

Re: Parallel Wiring (perhaps with shared master volume?)

Ciaran Haslett
My only experience here is with 2 channel amps.  There is a mixing resistor network thats sole function is to sum both channels for a shared tone control (much like your example) or pre phase inverter (fenders).  Entering mixing resistor to google will give you plenty to digest.  And some good examples too.

Re: Parallel Wiring (perhaps with shared master volume?)

tabbycat
Kinski wrote
I'd like to make a noise box that has two atari punk consoles that run in parallel. Ideally they would both share a single tone and volume control. Is that at all possible?

Would this work?

OUT of both APCs to the IN of the TONE.
Then the OUT of the TONE to the IN of the VOL.
Then OUT of VOL to OUTPUT JACK?
could you not just run the output from the first atari into lug 1 of a pot, the output from the second atari into lug 3 of a pot, and take lug 2 to the input of a vero layout for an lpb1 combined with a basic tonestack (either the bmp or the swtc). that would give you a passive mixer pot (or internal trimmer which you could set and forget), which turned halfway would be both inputs equal. then replace the trimmer in this vero with a 100k volume pot.

not sure which size pot (or trimmer) to recommend as the mixer, that depends on the output of the atari punks. maybe just experiment starting with 50k, and if that doesn't work try 10k or 100k.

as these synth noise toys (atari punk kind of the same thing) go right across the frequency range from subsonic to dog whistle, the lower frequencies can lack the pure volume of the higher ones, so adding the output booster will allow you to compensate for that.

Re: Parallel Wiring (perhaps with shared master volume?)

Kinski
Hmmm, I've been reading a bit, and it seems all I have to do is add a resistor at the end of each output before being joined together. I'll try this out in a few days or so when I get around to building it and let you all know.