Pedal Reliability / Testing Check List?

jwroper
So I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on how to make their builds more reliable. Maybe someone a checklist you could run through after a completed build to test the pedal out?

I'm using pieces of vero soldered to the pots which Mark mentioned a while back, this really helps improve things there. Heatshrink on the jacks and to couple together the pot wiring also seems like a good plan.

Cheers!

Re: Pedal Reliability / Testing Check List?

Geiri
Hmm, I don't really have a checklist or anything like that. I just always pay close attention to every solder joint I make. I've had a few minor issues in the past reported by buyers but I always take them back, fix it and learn my lesson. Something I started doing recently (few weeks ago) is to always put tape on the bottom, wire the LEDs, and tape again over it so that it's absolutely secure, won't move and will never ever conduct to anything. It's pretty bulletproof to be honest. Then I use a knife to make it look a little prettier.
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Pedal Reliability / Testing Check List?

I don't really do anything special either, except if your sockets are a little loose, bend the component leads slightly in opposite directions for tight fit, which really helps.

--Silvie

Re: Pedal Reliability / Testing Check List?

Yehudi
Regarding Leds I allways use glue after instaling them, so everything is tight in it's place and isolated, also in larger veros I tape the sides of the enclosure to assure that it won't short against it. I also use dust caps on the pots to prevent this situation. Lock washers can prevent some parts to turn and break connections. A polarity protection diode is also a good idea whenever there isn't one in the circuit and as long as it doesn't mess the tone of the effect. The rest is like said before...checking solder joints. Regarding tube shrinking connections I'm still not sure if it's good or bad since it may dificult you on spoting a problem and may entrap moisture that will be bad in a long run allthough it helps to keep the solder joints tighter against the parts and may reduce pressure when wires are pulled. Nothing new I recon! lol. Reliability on effects depends (in my umble view) on 2 main things: Good solder joints and quality parts! I also like to test the effect on the "real world" with different setups, since I build them at home (like most of everyone here, I suppose!!!)and test them in a small amp with low volume (compared to the one I use in rehearsal!!)

Re: Pedal Reliability / Testing Check List?

otalgiafx
Isolation is a must, especially with vero board.  I use liquid electrical tape to paint over the solder side of the vero, this prevents shorting but also avoids the problem of the copper strips corroding over time.

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/acimages/vendorimages/750/LET118black.jpg

Re: Pedal Reliability / Testing Check List?

Vince
I like the idea of that tape, otalgiafx. I have been using electricians tape on the bottom of my boards and gently melting it slightly with a lighter. I'll invest in some of that stuff and give that a go.

Nice find

Re: Pedal Reliability / Testing Check List?

GoranP

I'm using regular duct tape (not the actual metallic duct tape, the plastic "duck" tape) on bottoms of boards and enclosure covers and sometimes on enclosure sides if the boards are on the large side. Never had a problem.

Re: Pedal Reliability / Testing Check List?

Madferret
I generally use insulation tape anywhere I think there could be an issue but that liquid tape looks like a real winner.  I've also started using sticky back Velcro on the backs of the pots and gluing the other side to the board to help keep it in place, this really seems to help keep things secure.  For LEDs, the chrome fitting from Tayda come with a plug that helps keep them secure or Bitsbox sell some really cheap black bezels that have a clip at the back to keep the LED secure, I've never had one come loose yet.  I also use some heatshrink tubing to seal the solder joints of the LED if I'm feeling like going the extra mile, eg. a pressent for a friend, I don't usually bother if it's for me as I don't play any gigs so they're not getting much of a battering.