Pedal for Mike Ness sound

TheMajor
Hi, first I want to apologize cause I start so many new threads, but I am absolutely stunned with this blog, and there are so many things I want to build. But yeah, time and money is limitited. Do you have any idea which pedal will give me that Mike Ness tone through a solid state amp ? Mike uses a modded Bassman so I dont know if I should look out for Fender voiced Pedals or rather Marshall. Here is a soundclip of one of my fav. tones :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksTUQ7ciHXU

Re: Pedal for Mike Ness sound

alex.s
His sound has pretty much always been P90 LP -> tube amp.

One pedal you could try to get slightly gnarly, tube-y rock distortion sounds from is the Rat, the You Dirty Rat version with Germanium diodes could give you a decent approximation,

Re: Pedal for Mike Ness sound

TheMajor
I have a Gibson P90 LP, and I thought maybe the Wampler Black 65 with the gain boost could kinda get me there. Or is it not the right thing for Mikes Bassman ?

Re: Pedal for Mike Ness sound

Jon Rep
I thought you would go with a dirtier sounding pedal similar to The Rat.  But, I have built the Wampler Black 65 and it is one of the best pedals I have Built from Mark's site.  If you don't get the Mike Ness sound I think you will not be disappointed with this pedal anyway. It is a WorthWhile Build.

Re: Pedal for Mike Ness sound

TheMajor
Yeah, I will build the Black 65 as soon as the parts I ordered from the US arrive. The best pedal I have heard jet on YouTube demos.