Photobucket hijacked my pictures...

traktop
I guess I´ve got to say goodbye to all of my forums pictures linked from my photobucket account. They ask 400 bucks a year just for activating the third party image hosting...
No way...

Re: Photobucket hijacked my pictures...

Yep. I got the same email and haven't used it in forever. I was thinking it wasn't legit, but guess I was wrong.

Re: Photobucket hijacked my pictures...

Silver Blues
Is that what's happening with Photobucket? Are they insane?

Re: Photobucket hijacked my pictures...

traktop
I'm mad because of my account, but this have just left forums without pictures...

Re: Photobucket hijacked my pictures...

PMowdes

It's the same everywhere

the guys over on DIYstompboxes are up in arms.  Photobucket have screwed up big time.  Most people are downloading their albums and looking for other hosts, of course that doesn't help with stuff already linked.

Re: Photobucket hijacked my pictures...

Who's running Photobucket, Martin Shkreli (the AIDS pill guy)?

I wonder how much longer Photobucket will last? When all the accounts are gone or inactive, who's gonna pay for ads?

Re: Photobucket hijacked my pictures...

Frank_NH
My solution to this (though I rarely upload photos for storage on a "free" site) is to basically be my own data server.  That is, get yourself a 1 TB portable drive and some backup software, and store your content securely.  Then you can selectively upload to "free" sites and have your content there until those sites go belly up or (like photobucket) decide they want to change their policy.  But you'll always have the original files.

I have an e-mail account with msn (hotmail) and have some free space there for file uploads and sharing.  That's been pretty stable.  There's also Google mail and Google drive.  But I never take anything for granted.

And there are also devices now like Lima which enable you to securely access your files anywhere on the internet.  This would permit file sharing from a link I suppose (as long as your server was accessible - i.e. powered up).

The fact of the matter is that all of the content we "store" on the internet belongs to whomever pays the bill for the server.  Nothing is truly free, and as we've seen time and time again, sites can go down in an instant if the host decides to delete or disable your content (e.g. the Beavis pedal electronics site).

This makes me wonder if it would be a good idea to have a way to back up the content here at Guitar FX Layouts.   Perhaps a multi GB archive file that we could download for safe keeping?

You meant all layouts?
That would be awesome!

Re: Photobucket hijacked my pictures...

Frank_NH