Pitch shifter

Marbles
Hi there,

Does anyone know a good build for a 'clean' pitchshifter?
What I'm basically looking for is a circuit where a pot/slider controls the tone. It doesnt have to be in steps and note precise, just a sweep from the input note till, say 2 octaves higher. (or 7o'clock is 2 octaves down, 12o'clock is 'normal' and 5o'clock is 2 octaves up.

A bit like the 2nd setting you have on the Mooer pitchbox. Preferably not with fuzz. Can somebody direct me to an example? Or does it exist? Would be awesome!

Grtz,

Marc

Re: Pitch shifter

Dave
This would be a very difficult build, if you look at most clean pitch shifter builds they require a lot of components and chips etc. You'd be better off buying one in all honesty.

Re: Pitch shifter

Yes the closest thing you're going to get to a pitch shifter is some sort of octave effect.  Pitch shifters have analogue to digital at the input and digital to analogue converters at the output, and all the clever stuff is done in between in the digital domain.  You almost certainly couldn't even buy the chips in DIP format which would straight away make vero an unusable build option.  Not to mention even if we had the schematic, you would then need to write software to do much of the processing.

Basically any effect that requires this kind of digital processing isn't something you would use vero for and most people wouldn't even consider it for DIY on a PCB.  No way would I solder 80+ pin surface mount ICs!

Re: Pitch shifter

Marbles

Haha, well, another thing learned I guess.  Thanks for the quick replies!

Op 8 mei 2014 16:24 schreef "IvIark [via Guitar FX Layouts]" <[hidden email]>:
Yes the closest thing you're going to get to a pitch shifter is some sort of octave effect.  Pitch shifters have analogue to digital at the input and digital to analogue converters at the output, and all the clever stuff is done in between in the digital domain.  You almost certainly couldn't even buy the chips in DIP format which would straight away make vero an unusable build option.  Not to mention even if we had the schematic, you would then need to write software to do much of the processing.

Basically any effect that requires this kind of digital processing isn't something you would use vero for and most people wouldn't even consider it for DIY on a PCB.  No way would I solder 80+ pin surface mount ICs!

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Pitch-shifter-tp9518p9525.html
To unsubscribe from Pitch shifter, click here.
NAML

Re: Pitch shifter

Heath
You should hit up Ebay for a Behringer pitch-shifter.  I know Behringer gets a lot of crap, but I snagged one for $20 and aside from knowing I'm not going to take a plastic (albeit very strong plastic) enclosured pedal gigging, it's a great pedal.  I turned out a respectable "My Iron Lung" within about 5 minutes of getting it home.

Re: Pitch shifter

Marbles

Thanks, yeah maybe i Should do that and mod it slightly. A friend of mine was looking for something wacky, so i was thinking about something that would involve changing pitch.
I once bought a behringer delay/time machine or something and it did sound pretty decent!
Unfortunately it stopped working after 3 weeks. Haven't had the motivation yet to check what's wrong with ut though...
But maybe I'll do just that!

Op 8 mei 2014 17:00 schreef "Heath [via Guitar FX Layouts]" <[hidden email]>:
You should hit up Ebay for a Behringer pitch-shifter.  I know Behringer gets a lot of crap, but I snagged one for $20 and aside from knowing I'm not going to take a plastic (albeit very strong plastic) enclosured pedal gigging, it's a great pedal.  I turned out a respectable "My Iron Lung" within about 5 minutes of getting it home.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Pitch-shifter-tp9518p9527.html
To unsubscribe from Pitch shifter, click here.
NAML

Re: Pitch shifter

You could always build another pedal and put the Behringer guts in the box with it as a dual pedal.  That would be a cool build actually.

Re: Pitch shifter

Marbles

Yeah, if it sounds any good! Maybe turn the pitch control into a slider,  put a stutter button before the output, mix it with another cool sounding circuit..

Well, getting ahead of myself here haha. First learning to build properly ;)

Op 8 mei 2014 17:58 schreef "IvIark [via Guitar FX Layouts]" <[hidden email]>:
You could always build another pedal and put the Behringer guts in the box with it as a dual pedal.  That would be a cool build actually.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Pitch-shifter-tp9518p9532.html
To unsubscribe from Pitch shifter, click here.
NAML

Re: Pitch shifter

dbat69
I would agree that the Behringer Pitch Shift pedal is quite good ad can do a lot - also its polyphonic too.  I tried the BOSS one and compared with the Behringer and preferred the latter.

There is no pedal snobbery here and I know their pedals are just copies, but hey, nothing new in the pedal industry there then  Also for someone like me who can't justify shelling out a bunch of cash on top pedals, the Behringer's are the next best.  And best of all it is through looking to find out what was included in a mod for the Vintage Tube Overdrive, that I found this site (and a couple of other sites), rekindling an old electronics hobby - bank balance has never been this bad though

Re: Pitch shifter

negativefx
Don't forget about Joyo.  I grabbed one of their OCD clones and it's surprisingly well built and sounds as good as the clone I built.

Honestly, I was on the pitch shifter hunt for awhile.  Just got the new Digitech Bass Whammy for $150... fulfills its purpose wonderfully and it isn't boutique priced.  Sometimes it's just a better choice to buy than make.

There is a shifter PCB on Madbeans based on the Pearl Octaver.  I think it's called the Low Rider.  I have a board onhand but haven't built it yet.  Highly doubt it tracks as well as the Micro POG or the Whammy, but I'm interested to see how it sounds.  The PCB is barely doable in a 1590BB so I doubt that it's worth a massive vero layout even if it sounds halfway decent.  Maybe Harold will do one for it.  =)

Re: Pitch shifter

Marbles
Will definitely check that one out, thanks!