Please help

Lee Oswald
This post was updated on .
Folks,

I've been trying to source parts for five different projects here, to no avail. I've referenced data sheets, I've checked with Mouser for cross referenced parts. I've checked with Tayda, Mouser, Digi-Key, Mammoth, Small Bear, Pedalpartsplus, and even resorted to Futurlec.

Here's what I need substitutes for, if someone could tell me what will work in place of these,
I'D BE TRULY APPRECIATIVE, as without something that will work in place of these parts, I'm
stalled.

Here we are:

2SK170 - Mouser says to use 2SK208, but all they have are SMD
2N5952
2N1308
2A1200 (diode) AC217 was recommended, but I can't locate those either.

Thank you, as in HUGE thanks for any help anyone can provide.
I didn't shoot anyone.

Re: Please help

i would search the bay for these. i have some 2SK170's, but don't remember where i got them from. i did some searching on ebay and came up with these.

2SK170

2N5952

2N1308

2A1200

these are some listings from sellers i've used and trust, with the exception for the diodes, cause i've never used them before. i'm surprised at the price of the transistors, i mean i don't remember 2SK170's being that pricey, but the 2N1308's are apparently hard to find Ge transistors $5 a piece seems steep, so you might want to look for a different more reasonably priced transistor, but may be hard since they're NPN.

Re: Please help

2SK170's you can still get from Futurelec and I'm sure you'd get both them and the 2N5952 from http://www.aliexpress.com

I bought some 2N1308's from eBay and they were fine, if you want the specific transistor rather than using other lower cost ones like the Russians, then you're going to pay a premium.

For the 2A1200 I'd just use the 1N4007, or more probably the 1N4001 because it's doubtful that capacity is needed unless it's a power supply or something similar.

Re: Please help

Lee Oswald
Thanks to both of you, very much appreciated.

I did try eBay last, and found one or two things, which or
course weren't in the list I posted. Rocket88, you obviously
have better eBay search skills than I.

I did try Futurelec, but they showed those items you mention, |V|ark,
as out of stock. And based on past experience with Futurelec, I thought
it better to just forget about them.

|V|, I found a data sheet that lists the Vf of the 2A1200 as 1.2. Isn't this
in the range of some LED's? Or is the 1N4001 closer?

Thanks again gents.
I didn't shoot anyone.

Re: Please help

What is the 2A1200 being used in?  The 1N4007 has a forward voltage of maybe around 0.7V and so if used as a series reverse polarity protection diode, you would lose more voltage with the 2A1200.  If it is used in parallel then the forward voltage doesn't matter.

Re: Please help

Lee Oswald
|V|ark,

The 2A1200 is for the Bearfoot Emerald Green Distortion Machine.
I assume those diodes are for clipping.
I didn't shoot anyone.

Re: Please help

Yes they are so their current and voltage capability are irrelevant, the 2A100 will do the same job as the 2A1200 but be much smaller and easier to work with.  I'd just use 1N4001's personally, or you could put two in series in each direction if you want to increase the forward voltage

Re: Please help

Lee Oswald
Thanks |V|.

Do do you happen to know the Vf of the 2A1200 and/or 2A100?
I've a ton of all manner of oddball diodes, I was going to whip out
meter and measure the Vf until I find a match. Or the closest match possible.
I didn't shoot anyone.

Re: Please help

The datasheet says 1.2V maximum but that doesn't tell you what it will be typically.  I expect it wouldn't be too far away from the 1N400* series

Re: Please help

Lee Oswald
|V|ark -

One last thing. for the 2N1308 you mentioned cheaper Russians. Is it the same part number,
or am I looking for a different transistor? And are these found on eBay, or is there a better source?

Thanks for all your help and time. Same to you Rocket88.
I didn't shoot anyone.

Re: Please help

what mark means as far as cheaper russians, is just that, any cheap russian Ge transistor. they're going to be cheaper, and you can get a lot of them so you can do other Ge builds. check out the thread i started about Ge transistors "Great Jumpin Germaniums! (Ge Diode and Transistor Reviews & Discussion)" to get some names of some to look for. just find something that would fit in a similar gain range for the 2n1308's and sort what you get. one positve thing is you'll have plenty left that you can use for other Ge builds, like fuzzfaces, rangemasters, tonebenders, etc. if you need a link or anything let me know buddy. oh and always glad to help, i'm sure that's why we're all here, to help each other.

Re: Please help

Lee Oswald
This post was updated on .
Thanks Rocket, that gives me some idea of where to start.
I'll see if I can find a data sheet for the 2n1308 and see
what the gain is.

I'll read the thread you mentioned as well.

Where's a good source for these Russian transistors?
I didn't shoot anyone.