Poor man's Uni-Vibe (but a great one!)

johnk
I was going to build a true Uni-Vibe clone after hearing that guitarists found the Danelectro Chicken Salad to be pretty darn authentic sounding, and better than a lot of the 'boutique' versions, I bought a used one on ebay for $40. It does sound great but I found the little orange plastic enclosure a bit funky, the plastic jacks a little cheap, and the tiny knobs kinda hard to use so I decided to rehouse it. in doing so, I also added a vibrato mode switch (like the original) plus a clean fet clean +3db booster at the tail end with a volume control just to give it a little more output. since it uses SMD components it was a bit like surgery to do it but it came out great and I really dig this pedal.

anyway, here's the end result:

Re: Poor man's Uni-Vibe (but a great one!)

Nice job John

Re: Poor man's Uni-Vibe (but a great one!)

bart
Great one John! Can you post a pic/guidelines on how to wire the vibe/chorus switch? I've got one of these and it's been waiting for a bit to be modded....

Re: Poor man's Uni-Vibe (but a great one!)

johnk
the mods that I performed on mine were:
1.replace entire switching board with this:

2. Replace both pots (B100K dual gang for speed and B50K for intensity)

3. Install SPST switch across 100K resistor for vibrato mod:

4. added fet preamp booster to output with B50K volume control:

on mine, where it says 'volume' 2, I used that as the input and wired the B50K volume control's lug three to the 'output', and lug two to output.

Re: Poor man's Uni-Vibe (but a great one!)

bart
Thanks a lot John!