Pots with solder lugs or pins?

Madferret
Pretty much every pot I've used has been the type with pins for PCB mounting and I've been using Mark's technique of cutting small strips of vero to help wire them, this works great but I have to confess that I hate cutting the tiny strips (so much that I ended up buying a Dremmel).  For a recent build for a friend I needed a 50k rev log pot which I could only get with solder lugs, since I'm not mounting the pots direct to the board it doesn't really make too much of a difference build wise but it did make it faster to wire up the pots.  Anyone else use these and if so how solid are they once they're soldered? My only worry is that if they're getting thrown around  they'd be more liable to break than using the strip of vero technique.

Re: Pots with solder lugs or pins?

Surgeon
I only use pcb pins for values for which the soldr lugs aren't available (ex:some reverse log values from tayda).

Never had a problem with them in my 20something builds, some of which have been extensively used. There's no reason for them to move anymore than the other type really' once thepot is thightened properly and your board solidly mounted.

With the pcb type, I use pliers and curl the pins in a loop so I can insert the wire in it and solder. Mark's method is neat and professionnal but too time consuming for me. The curl method, when cleanly executed, isn't so bad though...

Re: Pots with solder lugs or pins?

Dave
I find that ones with solder lugs are better for builds where there might be multiple connections per lug, for example like the Zvex fuzz factory. When using the ones with pins, i use stranded wire which i strip then wrap around the lug and solder, never ever had one break yet.
Thanks
Dave

Re: Pots with solder lugs or pins?

Geiri
I use the pins for PCB and Marks method with the vero strips. Only takes a few seconds to do them. I use a wire clipper to clip the vero to the size. I always use leftovers for that and it's quick and easy.
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Pots with solder lugs or pins?

Madferret
I tried using wire cutters but always ended up snapping too much off, maybe my wire cutters are a bit too big for the job. Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. I think I'll stick with the pins for now but order a few ones with solar lugs to try out.

Re: Pots with solder lugs or pins?

Geiri
I guess I landed a nice way of doing it quickly because the wire cutters I've got do it perfectly. Occasionally (not often at all!) the boards kind of snap in the wrong place but I've got so much vero that it's alright!
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Pots with solder lugs or pins?

Vince
Solder lugs all the way. So much easier to just tin all the lugs then hook and tin the ends of the wires and just drop them right in. Good for jumping double lugs too. Just strip and adequate amount of the wire, push through one lug and bend it flat against the other.

Re: Pots with solder lugs or pins?

GoranP

Honestly, I really couldn't care less as long as the value and taper are right. :)

When I use the solderlug ones I just thread the wire as I would a needle and give it a splash of solder. Handy if you need more than one wire connected to a same lug but far from a dealbreaker.

Pins, no sweat. I don't even bother with using little strips of vero. I have that third-hand thing,  i just position it to hold the wire next to the pin and Robert's your mother's brother.