Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

alltrax74
Here is the kind of glue I use :

So no cyanoacrylate or any other technic glue, just basic stuff
Maybe the quality of the plastic sheet you use is the culprit
I use these :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fellowes-5700901-Mars-A4-Laminator/dp/B000KKMCII/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365665645&sr=8-2&keywords=fellow+laminator
with
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fellowes-Enhance-Micron-Laminating-Pouches/dp/B000NJUWME/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1365665645&sr=8-5&keywords=fellow+laminator
and cut to size with a massicot
Before glueing I round the 4 edges with scissors. I put a weight on the enclosure during an hour to let the glue dry evenly.
And no clearcoating or whatsoever, this is the beauty of it

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

GoranP

Alltrax, are you Dutch or just use imported stuff? :) The little I can read, it says "special glue".

Could you unfold that tube a bit more? There's some Uhu stuff to be found at specialty stores but it would be helpful if I can get the exact type to ask for. I've tried both CA and 5min epoxy and to my amazement the plastic just wouldn't stick to aluminum. And epoxy usually sticks anything to anything. :)
Maybe I need to sand the enclosure for it to stick, I'll try but I have a lot of cleaning up to do as is with all my failed attempts.

Do you get glue squeezeout? ? Cause I can't see any on your pictures and there's no lifting to be seen so I'm assuming some squeezeout and wiping?

I'll definitely try other plastics as well, I just need to find some around town.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

alltrax74
I'm french
The "scotch" one can be found in any supermarket here, it's the kind of glue kids use at school.
The UHU is the HART model, it's the one I use to glue the bindings on my lutherie projects. I bought it on ebay, it's not expensive.
And I don't need to sand the enclosures
I use a fair amount of glue, so there is indeed some squeeze out all around the box that I need to wipe.
To avoid liting the size of the print must not run over the radius of the enclosure

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

GoranP

Excellent, thanks!

I think I may be able to find the uhu stuff, I'll just need to drive around the town a bit.

I'm gonna give this another go, it may just be the answer for my finishing needs.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

dexxyy
I`ve used this method and i stick the laminate down with a very light coat of clearcoat, just enough to allow it to slide into position.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

GoranP

Whoa! Even better!

One clearcoat to "waterslide" it into position and that's it?

yep, although i have also done it and given it a couple of coats of clearcoat to flush of the edges, whichever your happy with.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

toddvirgil
Sorry if this has been answered already, but if I buy a prepainted enclosure (from mammoth for example) - can I apply my waterslide decal to that and then just clear coat it? Or would i need to sand it or something to prep?
12