Probably a dumb noob question

taeagan
Hello everyone.   I have experience building pedals on PCBs and on perfboard.  I'm going to try making the bassballs clone on a stripboard:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/06/ehx-bassballs.html

The layout if confusing to me.  In order to get the IC pins to match up with the layout here, wouldn't I have to solder the IC to the same side as the traces/strips?  If I followed this layout on the trace side and cut the strips where specified and ran the jumpers... how would I put the IC on the other side of the board and get the pins to line up right.  Clearly pin 4 won't jump to ground from the other side.  Obviously I'm missing something but I can't figure out what it is.

Re: Probably a dumb noob question

Zanius
Don't worry, everybody asked noob questions at some point. I still ask dumb questions and I am two years into building veros :)

Here is what happened:
The components are shown as they should be placed on the non-copper side of the board. The cuts though, have to be on the copper side.
Now, the layouts show both components and holes on the same side, but you actually have to turn the board around and make the cuts. To do this easy, open the picture with paint and go "rotate->flip horizontal"
Now, flip the board in your hands and what you see is what you should cut.

See, the + represents the cut.

component side (what you see on the picture)
- - - -
- - +-
- - - -

Copper side (what you see after flipping both picture and board)
- - - -
- +- -
- - - -

I hope that's clear enough. Good luck!

Re: Probably a dumb noob question

Zanius
I may have got ahead of myself there. See, there aren't only dumb questions, but dumb answers as well...
I don't know why, but I thought you were having trouble with the cuts.

So, yes. everything goes on the same side. If you are having trouble fitting the IC over the jumpers, use a IC socket. If that's not the answer you are looking for, I don't know what else may be troubling you :)

Re: Probably a dumb noob question

taeagan
Your first answer was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!  That makes perfect sense now.  The strips and cuts are as if I'm looking "through" the board.  Now I can understand how the IC pins land where they're supposed to.

Re: Probably a dumb noob question

first off, welcome to the community. i'm going to throw this out to you, but i wouldn't build this effect for your first vero build, especially if you're unsure how the layouts are organized and how everything should be put together. i highly suggest starting with something simpler that you can still use. this way not only do you get a good usable pedal, but if you have any problems it's much easier to debug. then once your build goes well move to something more complicated.

also, read this before you build anything. it's a guide to show you how to go from layout to completed build. it will make the whole process and learning curve much easier and better.