Question about the Ampeg Scrambler

Sensei Tim
So i built a scrambler for a local bassist using this layout:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2012/05/ampeg-scrambler.html

and I added a master volume mod and used the dual gang blend configuration that JohnK suggested in the comments.

I used 2n5306 and  2N5088 transistors.

when the pedal is on and the volume is maxed, it has less than unity gain.   if i use BC517 or MPSA14 darlingtons, will that give me at least unity gain without changing the overall tone?

Re: Question about the Ampeg Scrambler

Zombie11
No it won't. The ampeg scrambler didn't reach unity gain at all, just like the shin ei companion fuzz etc. Many people tack on a LPB-1 to boost the output.

Re: Question about the Ampeg Scrambler

Sensei Tim
cool, thanks.

Re: Question about the Ampeg Scrambler

Sensei Tim
ok. so i added an AMZ MOSFET booster to the circuit.

i took the blend 2 output to the input on the AMZ and used the 5k pot as a volume control, but i am just barely getting to unity gain, if i even am.

*confused*