Question on matching transistors

Synsound
In building the modded MXR noise gate it was suggested to match the 2N3904's. To my understanding these are not jfets. In this case am I just looking to match the HFE values?

What is it that the matching actually accomplishes?

When the gate is on the verge of closing I get a slightly choppy break up. Could this be caused by mismatched transistors or is this just to be expected (I have never owned a noise gate)

I was curious if my matching could be a bit off due to using a cheap meter with an hfe function.
Thanks for any input.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Question on matching transistors

Silver Blues
I'm not sure what the electronic theory behind the matching is, but the choppy breakup is most likely caused by an hFE mismatch - I've heard this complaint from builders of the gate. Try to get them as close as you possibly can.

I would say as long as you use the same meter for both transistors you should be fine - if there'll be an error, it will be the same across both, i.e. the ratio of the two hFEs will be the same.

Also, how do you like the circuit? I have a buddy that's been looking to have me build him a noise gate and I've been scouring for the best possible option.

Re: Question on matching transistors

Synsound
It seems to work well but getting it dialed in is a little touchy. I can't hear much change with the attack knob and the momentary switch doesn't seem to do anything. I don't have anything to compare it to.

I will meter my transistors again and pos try another pair to compair. Thanx
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Question on matching transistors

Synsound
Silver,I see you checked into the single knob noise gate thread. Between the MXR and the one Boratto posted I would lean towards his. It is simple, a quick build and it works. Seems like it pretty damn close to unity. I don't know if it's advisable on his but I didn't even check the transistor values and it seemed fine with a clean shut on the gate. Either I got lucky on the values or it simply doesn't matter. That's my two cents.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Question on matching transistors

Silver Blues
Much appreciated man. I was thinking the same thing, it's so simple and if it works well it'll save me so much headache.