Questions on Mad Prof Deep Blue

Re: Questions on Mad Prof Deep Blue

induction
In my experience, when the delay comes after dirt, ducking isn't necessary because the original signal dominates and you only hear the delay in the empty spaces. But when delay comes before distortion, the distortion compresses both the original and the delayed signal so that they are about the same volume, and the delayed signal is comparable in prominence to the original. This can be useful if you want the delay not to get swallowed up, but can be irritating otherwise. I mostly use delay for slapback, and it always goes in front of the distortion. But if I wanted to use delay for ambience, it would come after the distortion. If I wanted U2-esque layers, I'd put the delay first.

YMMV.

Re: Questions on Mad Prof Deep Blue

motterpaul
By the way - got the OP275 and this does sound a lot better (I also had a solder spur crop up after I had the pedal working once - which led to my confusion about the opamps - I had to fix that before the new OP amp worked)

"In my experience, when the delay comes after dirt, ducking isn't necessary because the original signal dominates and you only hear the delay in the empty spaces. But when delay comes before distortion, the distortion compresses both the original and the delayed signal so that they are about the same volume, and the delayed signal is comparable in prominence to the original. wanted U2-esque layers, I'd put the delay first."

I think you got this exactly right - because right now I only have the circuit (not boxed) so I can only hear it up front, if I want dirt I can only put if after (in the amp) - hence I notice the delay overwhelming the circuit. I can get it to the point where it is workable, but most settings do sound like U2. With my gig-rig I have the delay after the dirt and I don't have problems getting a good balance.

All things considered, though - Given the option I think the ducking option in a delay pedal is still an advantage. This one does work as advertised, though.

12